Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking in to purchasing a 2560x1400 monitor to upgrade from my 1980x1200. I just built a PC in July of last year with this video card:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007581QHG/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is this compatible with the "Dual DVI" inputs? It only has one DVI output, but also has an HDMI output. Can I not use an HDMI->DVI cable to supply the other DVI input? THat is what I am doing on my second monitor at the moment.

Also, which is the best for $400 or less? I have been looking at the Crossover and the Qnix Evolution II Perfect models...

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
The Qnix is probably best, as they can run at 96hz+.

"Dual-link DVI" is just a single DVI port, the name is kind of confusing. Your 7950 should have it (I know mine does). In fact, HDMI and DVI are electrically the same, so you could order a really cheap adapter and plug your old monitor into the HDMI port.

The 7950 is a good match for 2560x1440, you should be very pleased
biggrin.gif
. If the framerate isn't where you want it in various games, download RadeonPro, turn off MSAA in game and inject high or ultra SMAA with RadeonPro.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh... So you're saying it's still just a single to single DVI connection? I thought it was meaning that I needed two DVI connections since the resolution is so high and that a single DVI or HDMI could only handle 1080 or something.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am still confused because after Googling, it seems I need TWO DVI connections on my video card. I only have one DVI connection and one HDMI connection. Can that be used with a dual-link DVI setup?

·
Premium Member
32,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyScience View Post

I am still confused because after Googling, it seems I need TWO DVI connections on my video card. I only have one DVI connection and one HDMI connection. Can that be used with a dual-link DVI setup?
You only need the one. I'm on 2560x1600 with 7950s that only have one dvi port. That one dvi port is dvi-d so it'll work.

You can use the HDMI port for your old monitor too via adapter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the one DVI connection on my single video card to one connection on a 2560x1400 monitor works? I am having a helluva time finding info out on this stuff and I've never been beyond "normal" resolutions. The video card I have is not listed as DVI-D, has one DVI connection, one HDMI connection, and two mini DisplayPort connections. This is all very confusing to me and I appreciate the responses, just want to be sure that I can use the monitor if I buy it for $400. Because if it doesn't I'd have to drop another $300-400 for a new video card!

·
Ever Forward.
6,524 Posts
By dual dvi it probably means dual-link dvi, which iirc is needed for higher resolutions on dvi connections. Your card has all the necessary outputs.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post

You only need the one. I'm on 2560x1600 with 7950s that only have one dvi port. That one dvi port is dvi-d so it'll work.

You can use the HDMI port for your old monitor too via adapter.
DVI-D and DVI-I are actually different from dual link DVI and single lnik DVI. The DVI port on 7950 is a dual link DVI-I port, (definitely not a DVI-D port!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyScience View Post

So the one DVI connection on my single video card to one connection on a 2560x1400 monitor works? I am having a helluva time finding info out on this stuff and I've never been beyond "normal" resolutions. The video card I have is not listed as DVI-D, has one DVI connection, one HDMI connection, and two mini DisplayPort connections. This is all very confusing to me and I appreciate the responses, just want to be sure that I can use the monitor if I buy it for $400. Because if it doesn't I'd have to drop another $300-400 for a new video card!
Your card has a dual link DVI port. You only have 1 DVI port, but it's a dual link DVI port.

See this diagram for the difference between dual link DVI and single link DVI:

Your card has a DVI-I (Dual Link) port, which a monitor can use to drive a 2560x1440 signal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts