Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to pick up matching EVGA 8800 GTX for $60. I'm wondering if this is even worth it. In my opinion, I wanted to pick them up for a LAN machine. I know that they're leagues behind what my rig is right now, but I think of them as a novelty card. That's just my opinion though.

It is this model.

I'm not sure about a warranty on the cards, I'd have to call EVGA once I receive them.

What do you guys think?

·
Eh, Wha?
9,947 Posts
Why not pick up one instead, and use it as a physx/cuda card?

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
$60? Sure, they'll be right up there with a GTX 460.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero4549 View Post

Why not pick up one instead, and use it as a physx/cuda card?
The money isn't an issue, and I'm running SLI 670's right now. Hahah.

·
Premium Member
3,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdenpaka View Post

I have the oppertunity to pick up matching EVGA 8800 GTX for $60. I'm wondering if this is even worth it. In my opinion, I wanted to pick them up for a LAN machine. I know that they're leagues behind what my rig is right now, but I think of them as a novelty card. That's just my opinion though.

It is this model.

I'm not sure about a warranty on the cards, I'd have to call EVGA once I receive them.

What do you guys think?
Good deal. But they'll need a beefy PSU.
Only drawback is they don't support Dx11......but 60$ for both is sweet
thumb.gif

Here's how to put your rig in your sig:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1258253/how-to-put-your-rig-in-your-sig

·
Tech Enthusiast
12,388 Posts
2 for $60 is a pretty good deal as far as I am concerned.

8800s are still some of my favorite GPUs. Worse comes to worse you sell them for a little bit of a profit. haha.

·
Eh, Wha?
9,947 Posts
Quote:

The money isn't an issue, and I'm running SLI 670's right now. Hahah.
And I spent just as much on a 680 lightning + waterblock, despite the fact that it gives significantly less frames in sli-friendly games AND provides less CUDA cores for my video rendering, encoding, etc. Just cause I didn't want to deal with the hassle of SLi again,

Doesn't mean I'd pick up two physx cards for the same rig (lets face it, these are pretty much worthless for any other purpose these days, especially if you already have 2 670s).

Having the money to buy the best solution for your situation is one thing, blowing it on something useless is another.

Perhaps not what you wanted to hear, but you did ask.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafboy View Post

2 for $60 is a pretty good deal as far as I am concerned.

8800s are still some of my favorite GPUs. Worse comes to worse you sell them for a little bit of a profit. haha.
I like this idea! I just wouldn't mind having them. In my opinion they were revolutionary cards!

·
Tech Enthusiast
12,388 Posts
Quote:

And I spent just as much on a 680 lightning + waterblock, despite the fact that it gives significantly less frames in sli-friendly games AND provides less CUDA cores for my video rendering, encoding, etc. Just cause I didn't want to deal with the hassle of SLi again,

Doesn't mean I'd pick up two physx cards for the same rig (lets face it, these are pretty much worthless for any other purpose these days, especially if you already have 2 670s).

Having the money to buy the best solution for your situation is one thing, blowing it on something useless is another.

Nothing wrong with buying old hardware... sometimes buying old hardware is more fun than new hardware.
Quote:

I like this idea! I just wouldn't mind having them. In my opinion they were revolutionary cards!
Find some Ultras.... mmmm

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

No that's cool. I partially want them anyways because I'm going to build a smaller build for LAN parties. I already have a Silverstone PS07 that needs to have hardware put in it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafboy View Post

Nothing wrong with buying old hardware... sometimes buying old hardware is more fun than new hardware.
Find some Ultras.... mmmm
Are Ultras that much better? Hahah. I was under the impression that the GTX were the fastest 8800 series.

·
Tech Enthusiast
12,388 Posts
Quote:

Are Ultras that much better? Hahah. I was under the impression that the GTX were the fastest 8800 series.
Not really, they are pretty much the same. The ultra pretty much being the same just clocked higher

·

13,038 Posts
For collecting, $60 is pretty good for two 8800GTXs. I'd get them if the money isn't a problem. I bought a GTX 285 2gb for $30 because it was a good deal for what it is.

·
Eh, Wha?
9,947 Posts
Quote:

No that's cool. I partially want them anyways because I'm going to build a smaller build for LAN parties. I already have a Silverstone PS07 that needs to have hardware put in it.
*shrug* I was at a LAN a few years ago in Texas. Now... I live in Maryland, and my gaming PC is a 60 pound fulltower with an external radiator, so logically I borrowed my Texan buddy's old gaming rig. Dual 8600s. I knew they would be slow, but I figured it would be ok, I'm not the kind of person who refuses to play games with poor graphics - heck, my favorite game is from 2001 and I still play it frequently.

BUT OMG IT WAS SO SLOW. I kid you not. Playing even (graphically) "mild" games by current-at-the-time standards required me to force everything to the lowest settings and resolutions, and it was still barely playable. I simply could not play many of the games my friends were playing. I literally left the lan a few times to just walk around in the sun because the alternative was staring at a ugly 10fps slide show in a dark cold room. Kinda defeats the purpose of a LAN (although seeing my buddies who I can normally only talk to online was a blast)

Now, granted those 8800s are significantly faster than 8600s, but the point is I think you are overestimating the cards, and underestimating just how much things have changed since the 8800s were wearing the crown. Being used to dual 670s, those 8800s may make your lan rig a joyless experience.
Quote:

Ultras indeed are "that much" better. Not enough that you're gonna notice today, but back when they were relevant, heck yes. If I were buying cards just to collect them, Ultras would be the only ones that make sense in the 8000 series.

To put it into perspective, if it was currently 2020, and you were to buy a old card for your collection, would you rather buy a 670 or a Titan? You also probably wouldn't want to game on either, even though by today's standards, people with 670s would love to have a Titan.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTOOSHORT View Post

For collecting, $60 is pretty good for two 8800GTXs. I'd get them if the money isn't a problem. I bought a GTX 285 2gb for $30 because it was a good deal for what it is.
That was a good deal as well!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

*shrug* I was at a LAN a few years ago in Texas. Now... I live in Maryland, and my gaming PC is a 60 pound fulltower with an external radiator, so logically I borrowed my Texan buddy's old gaming rig. Dual 8600s. I knew they would be slow, but I figured it would be ok, I'm not the kind of person who refuses to play games with poor graphics - heck, my favorite game is from 2001 and I still play it frequently.

BUT OMG IT WAS SO SLOW. I kid you not. Playing even (graphically) "mild" games by current-at-the-time standards required me to force everything to the lowest settings and resolutions, and it was still barely playable. I simply could not play many of the games my friends were playing. I literally left the lan a few times to just walk around in the sun because the alternative was staring at a ugly 10fps slide show in a dark cold room. Kinda defeats the purpose of a LAN (although seeing my buddies who I can normally only talk to online was a blast)

Now, granted those 8800s are significantly faster than 8600s, but the point is I think you are overestimating the cards, and underestimating just how much things have changed since the 8800s were wearing the crown. Being used to dual 670s, those 8800s may make your lan rig a joyless experience.
Ultras indeed are "that much" better. Not enough that you're gonna notice today, but back when they were relevant, heck yes. If I were buying cards just to collect them, Ultras would be the only ones that make sense in the 8000 series.

To put it into perspective, if it was currently 2020, and you were to buy a old card for your collection, would you rather buy a 670 or a Titan? You also probably wouldn't want to game on either, even though by today's standards, people with 670s would love to have a Titan.

Thanks for all of that feedback! I think I'm still going to get them!

·
Registered
502 Posts
SLI 8800 GTX's can handle Crysis 1 (the original unoptimized version) at respectable FPS. So even by todays standards they aint to shabby tbh. I still have my old ones in the loft. I went from those to a 560ti.

They are still viable cards imo, but they do chew thru th watts and generate some not so insignificant amounts of heat
tongue.gif

Anyway last i checked u could get around £50 for a single card in the UK ..this was many months ago ..dunno how much they have droped now but still ..$60 for a pair is good.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarNova View Post

SLI 8800 GTX's can handle Crysis 1 (the original unoptimized version) at respectable FPS. So even by todays standards they aint to shabby tbh. I still have my old ones in the loft. I went from those to a 560ti.

They are still viable cards imo, but they do chew thru th watts and generate some not so insignificant amounts of heat
tongue.gif

Anyway last i checked u could get around £50 for a single card in the UK ..this was many months ago ..dunno how much they have droped now but still ..$60 for a pair is good.
I also thought that for $60 they're a no brainer, even if they're an older card! I figured if I even LAN, or ever have friends that stay over, or my younger cousins, they can nerd out with me!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts