Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 identical 8800gts here. I'm running on a MSI P35 board.
GPU1 is folding with no issues.
GPU2 folded for about 5 mins, then stopped. I tried to restart it and it gave me a error saying the proper drivers weren't installed. Which I did install..

So I uninstall everything. Folding, drivers, restart, then I run driver cleaner pro.
I reinstall GPU1 and install drivers. Then I install Folding. It starts, no issues, folding along fine.
I then shut down. Install GPU, then go into device manager and install drivers through that. It starts, folds for like 5 mins, then stops again with the same error.
What gets me here is I'm using the same drivers on GPU1 as GPU2. GPU1 is folding fine, but GPU2 will not.
What am I missing?

OS is XP 32bit btw

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
it has to be two drivers one for each gpu,you install the 1st gpu it runs fine ,shut down computer install 2nd with new drivers it should run fine ,shut off install 1st and 2nd and it should work with both ,a and remember to do the short cuts and the flags -gpu 0 and -gpu 1 ,let me get u the guide

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahh..
I see...
I have to install the second GPU by itself then after that goes, install them both together..

(I've been reading the guide a couple of times tonight..lol)

Thanks. +rep

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KarmaKiller View Post
ahh..
I see...
I have to install the second GPU by itself then after that goes, install them both together..

Thanks. +rep
o and both cards will need a monitor,just for set up purpose ,after they are working u can unplug one of the monitors or both

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Quote:

ahh..
I see...

Thanks. +rep
You should be able to go into your device manager and see if both card have the same driver. I have had to install the driver twice. I install the driver, start up the first folding instance, works fine. I go to start up the second instance, for the second card, I get an error saying the driver isn't supported. I then go back and install the driver a second time, and then I'm able to run the second instance for the second card.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gibsonnova74 View Post
You should be able to go into your device manager and see if both card have the same driver. I have had to install the driver twice. I install the driver, start up the first folding instance, works fine. I go to start up the second instance, for the second card, I get an error saying the driver isn't supported. I then go back and install the driver a second time, and then I'm able to run the second instance for the second card.
thats it couldn't say it better

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
if all those don't work, your last resort would be:

1.)uninstall drivers then restart and clean them out again in safemode
2.)shutdown pc and remove second card
3.)restart pc, reinstall drivers and restart
4.)after logging back in, repeat step 1.
5.)shutdown pc again and put back in second card.
6.) start up pc and reinstall drivers and restart.

note: i would say uninstall rivatuner also. when doing step one. and after you install drivers again with two cards, reinstall rivatuner too so that it builds a registry of two cards. i also can't guarantee this will work but all i can say is that this has worked for me 2/2 times so far. i hope i don't have to do again as i just did it today.

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok guys..
I've followed the guide, i've tried everything listed above..
and I still get the same damn error of "Hardware not supported by drivers"
I've installed the drivers a million times, uninstall, took the cards out, safe mode install and uninstall.. Basically, since I made this post, this is all I've been doing, and I still can't get this to work.
I'm about to say screw it...

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm using the latest off Nvidia's site, the 178.24.

I just took out the GPU in PCI-E slot 1. Went into safe mode, uninstalled anything that had to do with nvidia and folding.
Rebooted. Back to safe mode, ran driver cleaner pro
Rebooted into safe mode
Installed the 178.24's.
Rebooted
Re-installed folding again. And I finally got the GPU in PCI-e slot 2 going.
Now I'm gonna restart and install the GPU in slot 1, see what happens.

I've been working on this since like midnight lastnight, and if I've gotten both of them to fold at the same time, they are only showing like 2200PPD for some reason.
When I have just one crunching, it's showing 5400PPD.
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but this is really aggravating..

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep.
I have that set..
Now GPU2 just threw out a "unstable machine", and I haven't even got it OC'd yet..

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The modded 177.35 won't install. Tell me there is no supported hardware, even after I dropped in the modded inf.
And the times it doesn't give me that error, it tells me that I need Vista 64, even though clicked the link to XP 32...

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
I have used that 177.35 + INF file on the following cards: 8600GT,8800GT,8800GTS,8800GS,9600GT,and a 9800GT. It has worked great everytime. Did you uninstall and clean the previous drivers before trying to install the 177.35?

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes sir, I did. I uninstalled, and ran driver cleaner pro before I install any GPU drivers. It's a habit with me..

And after messing with it today. I got card in slot #1 folding at the PPD it should be.
I did get drivers installed on both cards, but I still can't start a client on the second GPU. I'm pretty sure it's just something with my shortcut that I gotta fix. But the g/f is on there now, so it'll have to wait for a bit..

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok so I figured it out.
I had my flags set to -gpu 1 and -gpu 2
All I had to do to make it work was switch it to -gpu 0 and -gpu 1

Thanks for the help.

Rep for those of you I can.

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Quote:

Ok so I figured it out.
I had my flags set to -gpu 1 and -gpu 2
All I had to do to make it work was switch it to -gpu 0 and -gpu 1

Thanks for the help.

Rep for those of you I can.

Glad to see it all worked out. Usually when we have problems getting started, it's just because we overlooked something.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts