Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey you guys with P4's, has anyone noticed an increase in productivity by running dual instances of FAH on one comp??

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95

Hey you guys with P4's, has anyone noticed an increase in productivity by running dual instances of FAH on one comp??

I have, some people say it doesn't, but when I started running both, I went up the ladder a lot faster. A 1000 frame wu that took a couple hours to do, still takes the same amount of time except I can do 2- 1000 frame wu's in the same amount of time.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by archer_456

I have, some people say it doesn't, but when I started running both, I went up the ladder a lot faster. A 1000 frame wu that took a couple hours to do, still takes the same amount of time except I can do 2- 1000 frame wu's in the same amount of time.

Cool, thanks Arch!

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by archer_456

from my experiences i have not seen a benifit..
when i ran two instances i got weaker cores that didnt finish faster they took longer

running one core i get the projects 1134, 1135, 1140, and 1141
all of which are 600 pointers

From what i read in maximum PC hyperthreadiong only benifits you if the programs you run use different resources, and sice running two applications use the same resources it would most likely hurt performance a little bit..

Look at what i posted a while back on about the same subject ...

http://www.overclock.net/showthread....6&page=3&pp=10

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookedjunglist

from my experiences i have not seen a benifit..
when i ran two instances i got weaker cores that didnt finish faster they took longer

running one core i get the projects 1134, 1135, 1140, and 1141
all of which are 600 pointers

From what i read in maximum PC hyperthreadiong only benifits you if the programs you run use different resources, and sice running two applications use the same resources it would most likely hurt performance a little bit..

Look at what i posted a while back on about the same subject ...

http://www.overclock.net/showthread....6&page=3&pp=10

Thats interesting, I have never noticed that before. Thanks, i'll look into that bit of info.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
lol...i still dont know. on my 2 HT comps, one is running 2 instaces and the other 1. the 2 gets gromacs cores, but alwayz completes em. the other one has HT turned off, and always gets nice tinkers, but then sometimes deletes them at the end which is friggin wierd. im not sure whats better, all i know is im to high up the latter for the amount of PCs i have folding...i think

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
this sounds like running multiple apps sharing the same resources

Disadvantages Threading an existing serial application increases the complexity of the application, Intel says. Sharing of resources, such as global data, can introduce common parallel programming errors such as storage conflicts and other race conditions. Debugging such problems is difficult as they are non-deterministic, and introducing debugging probes, such as print statements, can mask these errors.

heres the linkage
http://www17.tomshardware.com/cpu/20...#disadvantages

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookedjunglist

this sounds like running multiple apps sharing the same resources

Disadvantages Threading an existing serial application increases the complexity of the application, Intel says. Sharing of resources, such as global data, can introduce common parallel programming errors such as storage conflicts and other race conditions. Debugging such problems is difficult as they are non-deterministic, and introducing debugging probes, such as print statements, can mask these errors.

heres the linkage
http://www17.tomshardware.com/cpu/20...#disadvantages

wow...right. well, theres nothing exept that running on there 24/7, so i doubt thats it

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
i think running with ht and without is the same thing think bout it this way without ht you run a core thats 240 pts and you complete 2 for every 2 with ht completes it just basically adds the same and if it taks the core to run longer then the more pts u get like my p3 500 mhz i let it run for dayz to complete one core and it suppose to only get 231 pts but because it took so long they gave me 600 pts instead so don't under estimate slow computers lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts