Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this sounded crazy to me but I just want to know. My board has dual lan, and my dorm has it internet connection limited to 300K or about 40Kb/s when downloading. This means I cant download and play at the same time, but is there any way to enable one lan port or say internet explorer and one for others or something like that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
664 Posts
You would need 2 separate accts and modems to double your bandwidth.

Back in the days berfore HighSpeed I had 2 modems on 2 accts in tandem.
One modem in my computer and the other went to my router networked to my computer. It took a small application to share the connections. It went close to twice as fast.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No it would give me 2x 300K connections, I usually plug my laptop into the other one and download on that but its so old it has USB 1.1 which takes forever to transfer to my external drive. The school limits the connection to 300K per port. I know I cant combine them but if I could set one to download and one to game it would be great. Otherwise what the 2 lans worth besides using it as a gateway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
664 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall82
No it would give me 2x 300K connections, I usually plug my laptop into the other one and download on that but its so old it has USB 1.1 which takes forever to transfer to my external drive. The school limits the connection to 300K per port. I know I cant combine them but if I could set one to download and one to game it would be great. Otherwise what the 2 lans worth besides using it as a gateway.

OK, You are getting different IPs at each port. (equals 2 separate accts)
If you can give the game its own IP address that would be cool.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bdog
OK, You are getting different IPs at each port. (equals 2 separate accts)
If you can give the game its own IP address that would be cool.
Exactly I just dont know if I can and if I could how do I go about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
As far as I know, you must be using 2 network cards from the same manufacturer that both support teaming. It will only work using the manufacturer's software. For example, if you bought 2 Intel NICs, they may support it. Your on-board NICs are more than likely 2 totally different chipsets, and probably won't work. I'm not 100% sure on this. There may be a 3rd-party app that supports it. You'll need to do some research.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,138 Posts
I don't recommend it. The school network (I assume you're at a university) will look for your computer's MAC Address (aka physical address). It then assigns the designated IP to that address. If you try to use the two ports, there may be a conflict of IP addresses/Mac Addresses and the data port may get turned off. Now going w/o internet is tough, I know... I've been there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,923 Posts
ok what about this idea?

if i got a pc with dual lan and bought another verizion dsl conection and another phone line and hooked em both up would i be able to use them both?

if so how?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
664 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKraken
I don't recommend it. The school network (I assume you're at a university) will look for your computer's MAC Address (aka physical address). It then assigns the designated IP to that address. If you try to use the two ports, there may be a conflict of IP addresses/Mac Addresses and the data port may get turned off. Now going w/o internet is tough, I know... I've been there.

Each NIC will have separate mac address. So the school network will give 2 separate IPs.

I did the dual modem on a Mac in 2001. It was second party software that hooked it up together. If it existed for a Mac, I am sure it exists for Windows.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bdog
Each NIC will have separate mac address. So the school network will give 2 separate IPs.

I did the dual modem on a Mac in 2001. It was second party software that hooked it up together. If it existed for a Mac, I am sure it exists for Windows.
So what did the software do exactly? And do you remember what it was called?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
664 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Marshall82

So what did the software do exactly? And do you remember what it was called?

What it did was combine multiple TCP connections. I had 2 phonelines, 2 modems and 2 Dial-up accounts,

A website would feed 2 pipes (modem>computer, modem>network>computer) and combine in my computer and present themselves as one. I surfed normally.

I didn't use it all the time because the second phoneline was for phone calls.

I don't remember the name, I've been going through my archives,, no luck.
I'm looking for a missing a box of zip discs, I'll keep my eye open for them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,923 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Bdog

What it did was combine multiple TCP connections. I had 2 phonelines, 2 modems and 2 Dial-up accounts,

A website would feed 2 pipes (modem>computer, modem>network>computer) and combine in my computer and present themselves as one. I surfed normally.

I didn't use it all the time because the second phoneline was for phone calls.

I don't remember the name, I've been going through my archives,, no luck.
I'm looking for a missing a box of zip discs, I'll keep my eye open for them.



man that could make it cheaper for people to get super fast isp for cheap prices.

see look at this theory.

a 5mbps broadband connection at 85$ a month.
a 3mbps broadband connection at 30$ a month


just dual up and save if u need that much speed.


i wonder o_O? could u like buy enough network cards to fill up every extra slot in ur pc and hook em all up ? that would be SICK!
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top