Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tldr: monitor dims then shuts off, but other monitor still works, what do i do?

Ok, so a few weeks back, i realized I had a cheapo dell monitor lying around from an old family comp. I plugged it in to my comp as a 2nd monitor to my x233h. Everything was working fine since then, no hickups. tonight I had been playing some wow for a few hours and in the middle of the game my screen on the x233h dimmed slightly (not gradually, but as if someone pressed a brightness button once) then it turned off completely, but not as if there was no signal coming from it. The dell monitor remained on. I turned off my computer, turned it back on, intially the x233h worked fine. Then after about 20 seconds while loading windows, it dimmed, then turned off just like before. After a little trial and error i found out that it does this after about 20 seconds every time I turn the monitor on and off. I checked the connections, they are all good. I tried switching the monitors on the slots on the back of my comp. This did not work out. With the Dell in the x233h's slot and the x233h in the dell's slot, the x233h showed no signal and the dell didnt show anything. So they both pretty much had black screens. I have had the side panel of my comp off for about 4 days and ventilation shouldnt be an issue. The gpu fan is on and working. the card doesnt seem hot to the touch. I even went into the drivers and went to the multiple monitor setup, enabling my x233h. That works, for about 15 seconds, then it dims and goes black. At this point I am thinking it is something to do with either the driver or the card itself as the monitor is not shot because I still get display out of it. Anyone ever hear of this or know of any good troubleshooting techniques?

·
Premium Member
10,900 Posts
How old is the monitor? it may simply be a dead monitor... I had one of my monitors die on me last week, it happens, I have 2 new widescreen monitors coming to me this week
can't wait, maybe they'll arrive today even

·
Premium Member
10,900 Posts
well if the gpu overheated it would most likely kill signal to both monitors....

have you tried other drivers? are your monitor drivers installed/up to date? or is it just in plug and play mode?

·
Premium Member
10,900 Posts
well what happens when u reverse the order of the monitors? plug monitor one into slot 2 monitor 2 into slot 1.... does the same monitor dim out?

·
Loosing Vision
1,889 Posts
could it be a power management setting of sort, can you access menu to monitor and adjust the bright contrast etc

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, so slight update, after about 6 hours of being turned off completely, the same symptoms on my potentially faulty monitor are showing up. Im pretty convinced that it IS in fact the monitor, either the backlight or from what ive been readin from google searches, the inverter. Has anyone else ever had a situation like this? I just wanna make sure that it IS in fact my monitor before I go out and buy a new one. And right now, I am running on my 2nd, smaller monitor that has worked the entire time, only right now has the wires plugged into my gpu switched from when the problem started occuring.

·
Premium Member
10,900 Posts
I'd say it is your monitor, 100%. I have a similar issue, My monitor (2nd) sits in standbymode, 24/7 but when I powercycle it, it gets signal for like a second, then goes back into standby. and windows still recognizes it and extends my desktop to it... :S

1 - 11 of 11 Posts