Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I currently run a dual monitor set up with a GTX680, where I game on my main monitor, and I use the second monitor for browsing, leaving simple things open like ventrilo, WMP, steam chat, and mostly for watching streams. My 680 handles it fine. Pretty much every game I am able to have the game running while streaming, but with games more demanding I tend to lose a little bit of performance. Nothing that makes it bad, it just bothers me that the performance isn't 100% set to my game.
So today I was fixing up an old PC and I took an old 8600GT from that computer and thought about using it on this system to run my second monitor on it. I know its possible but I wanted to get some opinions and more info.

So I have a few questions I'd wanted to ask. First of all, is there any negative impact in using this second graphics card on my system? By negative impact I mean using more power from MB that would otherwise be going somewhere else. Or possibly stealing some of the power that would otherwise be going to my 680?
The other question is, if I was to plug in this other card, is there any setting I'd need to change to make sure that its running properly.
And last question is, would I need to install the driver for this card? And if I do, would it conflict with my current 680 drivers?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
25 Posts
So to be honest, I have never tried this before, but I don't really see any upside to use the second GPU. I run a very similar monitor setup except with a GTX 670. I think that you should just stick with your 680 and overclock it to gain back the performance. The second GPU isn't really worth the extra power draw or headaches that it may cause, in my opinion.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herp Derpington View Post

So to be honest, I have never tried this before, but I don't really see any upside to use the second GPU. I run a very similar monitor setup except with a GTX 670. I think that you should just stick with your 680 and overclock it to gain back the performance. The second GPU isn't really worth the extra power draw or headaches that it may cause, in my opinion.
Which headaches you refer to? And as for power draw you mean simply from the extra wattage being used from PSU?

·
Registered
25 Posts
The power draw from the PSU, yes. And the headaches, just driver problems that could arise or compatibility issues. It very well could work, give it a shot and tell me what happens, excited to find out. If it doesn't work as you had desired, you can still overclock the 680, if you havent already. They are solid overclocking cards, as are most of the top of the line cards from Nvidia and AMD.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

The power draw from the PSU, yes. And the headaches, just driver problems that could arise or compatibility issues. It very well could work, give it a shot and tell me what happens, excited to find out. If it doesn't work as you had desired, you can still overclock the 680, if you havent already. They are solid overclocking cards, as are most of the top of the line cards from Nvidia and AMD.
Alright. I'll try it. What if I exceed my power supply capability? Only issue I'd run into would be stuff would not work right due to lack of power?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Well what is the wattage of your PSU? You want to avoid going over the wattage at all costs, it could short out and fry all of your components.
Hey man. Thanks for following up with the thread. But I gave up on the whole idea. I tested the 8600GT that I had and it wouldn't fit the case. I then tried a 8500 that I had but after trying with multiple games, it was acting a bit weird. Some games it improved performance, while others completely messed up my frames. I decided to just stick with my GTX 680.

Thanks for all the help though and I apologize for not updating the thread.

·
Ever Forward.
6,524 Posts
I do this with a 5770 and a 6670 (two monitors on the 5770 and another on the 6670). I play a lot of sims, and usually have a moving or something running on the second display, sometimes gameplay and video playback gets laggy so I move the player to the third display and.
I don't have any issues at all with this setup other than not being able to use Lucid/iGPU because of the mixed gpus, not that I use it anyway tho.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts