Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously there are a lot of people complaining about the recent benchmarks released for Bulldozer but I would like to know if anyone has heard of future plans to release a dual socket MB for Bulldozer. Similar setups with Intel are very expensive. (SR-2 + 2 Xeon's) The MB costing upwards of $600 and then the chips at double that price each!

Would this be something for AMD to look into?

Edit: Wow, wrong section.

·
Disgruntled Lurker
691 Posts
I sincerely doubt that will occur. I can see a Bulldozer-derived server variant perhaps being released for a new socket, which is planned. However AMD's G34 Socket which is intended for their Multi-CPU server market with their current gen server CPUs. It's intended for AMD's 8/12 core Opteron 6100 Series CPUs. Motherboards start at around $420~ and CPUs at around $250 up to $1280

And to be honest, the new Bulldozer is a consumer aimed CPU. Having two CPUs will offer little real world performance increase for the majority of users short of home encoders, video producers, benchmark-monkeys.

Read More here:
G34 General Info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_G34

G34 CPU Info:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008494%20600048502&IsNodeId=1&name=Socket%20G34

·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The same goes with Intel chips, but the EVGA SR-2 was aimed at gamers and enthusiast users. I know the power consumption would be ridiculous but anyone getting into a build like it would know going in.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deletethegame;15282453
Obviously there are a lot of people complaining about the recent benchmarks released for Bulldozer but I would like to know if anyone has heard of future plans to release a dual socket MB for Bulldozer. Similar setups with Intel are very expensive. (SR-2 + 2 Xeon's) The MB costing upwards of $600 and then the chips at double that price each!

Would this be something for AMD to look into?

Edit: Wow, wrong section.
wont happen absolutely impossible, doesn't have QPI etc etc, processors from the FX series can't communicate with each other etc etc... enthusiast =/= server. SR2 = Server, Xeon = Server.

·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavix;15282706
Hmm, I wonder what folding would look like on a dual 8 core CPU. At stock speeds you should be able to ge away with a 750w PSU unless you went crossfire. mmmm ppd's
After being in the folding section all day (my home) and waiting for numbers the only thing I've seen is a lousy 15k PPD SMP.

·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty453;15282732
wont happen absolutely impossible, doesn't have QPI etc etc, processors from the FX series can't communicate with each other etc etc... enthusiast =/= server. SR2 = Server, Xeon = Server.
Xeon's are a server designed chip but I would argue that the SR-2 is not a server designed board.

Strait from EVGA's website: We have literally created a new form factor to fit all the amazing things on one board. Whether you are an extreme gamer, overclocker, power user, workstation user, server admin, folder/cruncher, or just a PC enthusiast; this is the ultimate motherboard. This board will encode your movies, render your images, or even load your games faster than you ever thought possible.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deletethegame;15282774
Xeon's are a server designed chip but I would argue that the SR-2 is not a server designed board.

Strait from EVGA's website: We have literally created a new form factor to fit all the amazing things on one board. Whether you are an extreme gamer, overclocker, power user, workstation user, server admin, folder/cruncher, or just a PC enthusiast; this is the ultimate motherboard. This board will encode your movies, render your images, or even load your games faster than you ever thought possible.
that's the point i'm trying to make, yeah they could release a dual socket AM3+ board for bulldozer but the CPU's can't interact, it'd cost a ton, these aren't designed for servers. Mainstream FX chip = wannabe enthusiast.

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
AMD has openly stated dual-desktop-socket boards will never happen.

·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty453;15282820
that's the point i'm trying to make, yeah they could release a dual socket AM3+ board for bulldozer but the CPU's can't interact, it'd cost a ton, these aren't designed for servers. Mainstream FX chip = wannabe enthusiast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skripka;15282848
That's somewhat disappointing.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skripka
View Post

They learned their lesson with 4x4...speaking of, Bulldozer reminds me more of that than Phenom I.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Honestly, there's no need for a gamer to need 2 CPUs. More cores is not what we need until the software starts demanding them....this is why BD sucks.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skripka
View Post

With enthusiasts in mind...

·
Registered
867 Posts
They would be better off releasing a 6-8 core Llano with L3 and no gpu on AM3+ socket. Would probably have the same or less development costs than a dual socket enthusiast system. As was pointed out Intel and AMD tried that already Skulltrail and QuadFX.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vesku
View Post

They would be better off releasing a 6-8 core Llano with L3 and no gpu on AM3+ socket. Would probably have the same or less development costs than a dual socket enthusiast system. As was pointed out Intel and AMD tried that already Skulltrail and QuadFX.

An 8-core Llano is impossible because there is not enough room on the die which is why they chose to implement modules. A 22nm Llano 8-core would be possible, though.

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackVenom
View Post

With enthusiasts in mind...

So?

SR2 sold how few boards? AMD makes multi-socket server as they can sell enough server parts to justify the expense. AMD has said there is no money to had for them in multi-socket desktop. And they are right, especially given the underwhelming performance of 8150FX

1 - 17 of 17 Posts