Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty sure most of you know about the dual PCIx slots in the new nForce4 board. I have been reading about it in maximum pc, i think they used dual 6800's that were bridged with a connector. First when this become available? Second do the video cards have to support this "dual mode"? Where would you get that little bridge connector? Would older graphics cards that were ATI be able to work in this? I guess i am just curious like a cat, thats why my friends call me whiskers.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
ASUS A8N-SLi board came out just about a week ago (it's the first I believe). Right now only 3 cards support SLi (dual video cards), the 6800Ultra, the 6800GT, and the 6600GT. I'm pretty sure the motherboard comes with the necessary bridge chip, ortherwise I'd expect the video cards to. It's not really worth it right now unless you're going to use dual 6600GTs (which is only slight faster than a 6800GT) because dual 6800GT or Ultras become severely limited by the processors (yes, your FX-55 included) so it's basically a waste of money until dual core chips show up.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
And since dual cores will most likely come out on a new platform (unless Intel and AMD have a few tricks up their sleeves), look to upgrade... Again.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my mag they said that their scores nearly doubled in Doom3 because each chip is only assigned half a screen, why couldn't processors handle it?

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
The processor can't send enough information to the cards to make a full use of them, it's just too fast right now.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
What if you have dual CPU's? Like the new Tyan board that supports dual opterons and dual PCI16x? I'm sure someone will also follow suit with a Xeon version.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Only problem I could see is most games don't support multithreading (multiple CPUs) so your second CPU would be doing nothing most of the time.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Quote:

Only problem I could see is most games don't support multithreading (multiple CPUs) so your second CPU would be doing nothing most of the time.

omg didn't know!

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
The only ones I know of are Quake 3 (and I guess any other games based off the Quake 3 engine) and Flight Simulators 2000-2004.

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Quake is pretty instensive, so I am willing to bet that some rich fool has gona and put dual optertons and daul 6800's in a board and gets 10,000 frames a second.....

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GateCrasher_VI

you trying to call me a self indulgent fool with "too much bloody MONEY"?

whats wrong with being self indulgent?

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier1421

whats wrong with being self indulgent?

Self indulgent is my middle name

1 - 16 of 16 Posts