Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I had my SSD; I'm left with two Windows 7 options to boot from. I removed my SSD and now it's still there. It slows down booting time and the first option no longer works since the SSD is not in use. How do I get rid of it?

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Well i will warn you DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

If you mess up the contents in this file you will most likely have to reinstall Windows if you dont know how to recover

In windows 7 type msconfig in the search bar in the windows menu

When you enter MSconfig go to the Boot tab.

Over there you can choose which you want to be your default OS and what not. choose which you want to be your default and change the time out to 0 Seconds.

OR

WARNING YOU CAN SERIOUSLY F*** UP YOUR INSTALL HERE.
I seriously suggest you back up just in case

Hit the windows key and R at the same time.
In the Run command bar type C:/boot.ini
Now hit file>Saveas then save as BootBackup.ini
Close the notepad.
Hit the windows key and R at the same time.
In the Run command bar type C:/boot.ini
Now identify the OS that isnt operational and delete it.

If you deleted the wrong one and turned off your PC you still have the back up. How ever you will need to boot on Ubuntu to do the switch.

·
15,777 Posts
Chill.

When you boot you realize that the upper one of the two Windows 7 versions are the one booting right. The same order is in the boot settings.
So if you delete the lower Windows 7 line in the txt file you'll also delete the un-useable OS.

OR you could just change the boot choice time to 1 second, that way you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecchi-BANZAII!!!
View Post

Chill.

When you boot you realize that the upper one of the two Windows 7 versions are the one booting right. The same order is in the boot settings.
So if you delete the lower Windows 7 line in the txt file you'll also delete the un-useable OS.

OR you could just change the boot choice time to 1 second, that way you can't go wrong.

I deleted the wrong one before. Its a pain in the ass some times. Especially when you had 2 OS on 2 disks. My font might be a bit to big

·
15,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KoolGuy
View Post

I deleted the wrong one before. Its a pain in the ass some times. Especially when you had 2 OS on 2 disks. My font might be a bit to big

Yeah it was.
Why use 1 OS on each disk?
Partitions are an EXTREMELY underestimated godly gift.

• Rep+
Reactions: Raul-7

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I stumbled upon another thread with the same issue and got a recommendation on software called EasyBCD - worked like a charm and is fool-proof.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts