Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My server box.....

Thermaltake M9
2x Lian Li HDD Trays
3x Yate Loon (@ 7v)
D-Link DGS-2205 1Gb 5-port switch (running on the PSU's +5v)

Untangle Router [Connected to Reset Switch]
MSI Fuzzy 945GM2 w/ 2x1Gb Intel NIC
Celeron M 410 (1.4GHz) w/ Custom copper heatsink
1GB Corsair DDR2 w/ heatspreaders
40GB WD Caviar SE

Windows Home Server [Connected to Power Switch]
ECS A740GM-M w/ 1Gb Atheros NIC
AMD LE-1620 (2.4GHz) w/ Xigmatek HDT-SDS963
ECS 9600GSO w/ Thermalright HR-03 and 92mm Xigmatek XSF-F9251 Fan
2x1GB DDR2 w/ heatspreaders
1TB Samsung EcoGreen F1
750GB Seagate 7200.ES2
500GB WD Cavier Blue AAKS

Corsair CX400 (powers EVERYTHING using a 20-pin Y-adapter and custom plugs)

On top of the case, I have a D-Link DGL-4300 as a WAP and 2nd switch.

Everything is on an APC BE750G UPS: 750VA (450W). Unfortunately, it only gives the servers about 1min 30s of runtime... just enough to automatically shutdown after 1 min.








LL
LL
LL
LL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,200 Posts
Looking awesome, great job


You can see where the fans are


The cable management is pretty good for a non-modular PSU, Well done.
 

·
Junglist
Joined
·
7,233 Posts
Nice looking server
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
How did you go about with the wireing. I wanted to do the same thing as i have untangle and a sever/pc running with two power units right now. Also why the graphic card aren't you running it headless.

Thanks for you r time.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhino1 View Post
How did you go about with the wireing. I wanted to do the same thing as i have untangle and a sever/pc running with two power units right now. Also why the graphic card aren't you running it headless.

Thanks for you r time.
I hooked the PWR_ON button of the mATX mobo to the case's power switch. I hooked the mITX PWR_ON button to the case's reset switch.

I used a 20-pin female to 2x 20-pin male adapter (my mITX needed a 20-pin and not 24-pin). This allowed me to the split the primary ATX plug into two. If I turn on either motherboards, the PSU turns on. This does NOT automatically turn on the other motherboard. I can still turn on/off the other board independently.

My mITX mobo does not have a 4-pin AUX plug so I didn't have to worry about that.

I am using the 9600GSO for 24/7 Folding.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,583 Posts
Nice. I have always wanted to have a full time server and untanlge. Alas I cannot procure the funds to do so. Mb in a few years or so.
 

·
d[ o_0 ]b
Joined
·
7,316 Posts
nice case you got there
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,389 Posts
Pretty sweet, duck. Those Corsair 400's are pretty sweet for the price, huh. I love mine. Pretty darn powerful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,497 Posts
its awesome to see an old part of mine actually doing something (its come a long way from an x1950xt)

keep up the good work. Everything looks great
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
Gorgeous. Nice networking too. I missed that sneaky little switch in the 5.25" bay.

Is a standalone router worth the work? I have a spare computer that I have always wanted to use as a networking something but dont know if its worth the time.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:


Originally Posted by corky dorkelson
View Post

Pretty sweet, duck. Those Corsair 400's are pretty sweet for the price, huh. I love mine. Pretty darn powerful.

The 6 SATA plugs are a definite plus as well. I just wished it was modular....

Quote:


Originally Posted by dr4gon
View Post

Is this untangle? http://www.untangle.com/Routing-QoS

What are you running it for?

Are you not running RAID? Perc5?

Why'd you stick a gigabit switch in the case?

Yes, that's Untangle. I used to replace my router. All home routers have specs like 200-300MHz CPU, 2-16MB RAM, and 2-16MB Flash. Even a simple Atom 1.6GHz + 1GB RAM is obviously much more powerful. There are a few threads in the networking section about custom routers. Pretty much everyone who has one like it. I would recommend either Untangle (UTM... bigger and more features) or pfSense (lighter/faster and GREAT QoS).

WHS uses it's own storage system. It is slower than RAID but it allows for different sized HDs to appear as one drive. It also allows for selective duplication of directories.

Quote:


Originally Posted by Sheehanigans
View Post

Gorgeous. Nice networking too. I missed that sneaky little switch in the 5.25" bay.

Is a standalone router worth the work? I have a spare computer that I have always wanted to use as a networking something but dont know if its worth the time.

To me... yes. I get no network lag while torrenting at MB/s rate. Plus I get added features like SpamBlocker, PhisingBlocker, AntiVirus, Ad Blocker, ect on my router. It helps protect bad things from even coming onto my PCs.

Either way, it was a great learning experience setting up my own router.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,583 Posts
Nice. I do want. I run Untangle on my PC right now..... Maybe I can use my Macbook Pro running windows as an untangle deicated router. Hmm More on that later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

To me... yes. I get no network lag while torrenting at MB/s rate. Plus I get added features like SpamBlocker, PhisingBlocker, AntiVirus, Ad Blocker, ect on my router. It helps protect bad things from even coming onto my PCs.

Either way, it was a great learning experience setting up my own router.

Ha. MB/s. I'm lucky if I hit over 200 KB/s. One of these days that'll change...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,426 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

Yes, that's Untangle. I used to replace my router. All home routers have specs like 200-300MHz CPU, 2-16MB RAM, and 2-16MB Flash. Even a simple Atom 1.6GHz + 1GB RAM is obviously much more powerful. There are a few threads in the networking section about custom routers. Pretty much everyone who has one like it. I would recommend either Untangle (UTM... bigger and more features) or pfSense (lighter/faster and GREAT QoS).

WHS uses it's own storage system. It is slower than RAID but it allows for different sized HDs to appear as one drive. It also allows for selective duplication of directories.

Hmmm I See, thanks! I think I'll stick with my MSI Wind NAS Ubuntu Box for the time being. 2x1TB seems to suit me well in small package
.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:


Originally Posted by dr4gon
View Post

Hmmm I See, thanks! I think I'll stick with my MSI Wind NAS Ubuntu Box for the time being. 2x1TB seems to suit me well in small package
.

Just curious, how much did that NAS cost? From my research, NAS only advantages are size, power consumption, and ease of set up. However, they generally cost more for less features.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,081 Posts
Nice setup. I know I am loving Windows Home Server for my local network storage. You cant beat it for $100.
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top