Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes you read that correctly, I built a duct tape shroud for my new push-pull config. Why on earth would I want to do this? Well this setup is only temporary as i save up money for a PA120.3 and sheet metal is not real cheap so I did not want to waste it.

It all started because I had a lot of 6-32 1.5 inch stand offs and well a roll of duct tape. The basic idea is to use the stand offs to raise the fans and then wrap duct tape around the stand offs and fans. Yes, can you spell ghetto?

Lets meet the players in this sad drama. The pics are a little blurry, sorry about that.

My old trusty MCR220

The fans. 4 YL. How can you argue for 3.95 a pop and they come in festive Halloween colors

The supplies. 16 6-32 1.5 inch standoffs and a roll of black duct tape.

The first part was to install the standoffs on to the rad and apply tape to the long sides. The duct tape is wide enough to provide a seal on the rad itself and cover the tops of the stands off. Good deal!

After that. I taped the short sides just the same and repeated on the other side since this is a push-pull setup.

I also wrapped duct tape around the rad itself to help and seal the tape. Hey, why not go all the way because I did have a whole roll of tape. Next was to install the fans. I just poked holes in the duct tape where it covered the holes in the stand offs. Here is the back (pull side) with fans on.

After I installed the fans, I wrapped a single piece of tape around the sides of the fans to cover the gapping holes. The posts for the fans are not flush with the outer edges, so it needed to be sealed. I repeated this on the front (push) side.

Now, my computer is in a equipment rack and since it is a HTPC case, the rad is out side of case. My solution for this was to get a 3U vented rack panel. I then use slightly larger screws to go through the vented panel and then nylon spacers to give the rad some breathing space. Then I just mount the whole thing in the rack. Here is the finished product (not in the rack)

So how well does it work? Well since I had everything torn apart, I put my gpu block back in the loop so no before and after temps. Right now with my mild OC I am get 49,50,44,49 C on load 35,38,32,38on idle with ambients of 26 C. It is not amazing but it is slightly better than I was getting with just the 2 nexus slient fans no shroud in pull only.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Nice shroud! I did the same with electric tape to make my shroud air tight!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay here are some more pics since someone asked. Things are messy right now and you will see why in a second.

Front of the equipment rack.

The side. Not 100% sure what I want to do here. I will probably cut off all the connectors then solder some longer wires on and run to the same power as the pump. Do not tell anyone but the pump is wired to a modular connector via wire nuts. Its all temporary until the PA 120.3 is installed and I figured out what I really want to do.

Rear shot of the rad

Inside the watercooled Silverstone LC-17, not much space

I do have plans to build a 1U rackmount hard drive case and then use a 4 port eSATA back panel connector I have to wire it all up and provide some better cooling to the hard drives.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Looks good, and the best part is you have a nice air-tight shroud now...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.