Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My motherboard is a BOX865PERLL it supposivly Supports Dual Channel DDR 400/333/266 SDRAM Memory module. I am under the impression that this means if I have two sticks of equal memory that it would actually run faster than having one stick that is the same speed and size. But, I have four slots. Two grouped together on the left and two grouped together further to the right. In the book that came with my Motherboard it says the set up goes like this. The far left one is DIMM0 and the other slot on the left is DIMM1 then the two grouped on the right are the same. So, in order to use this duel channel capablility, and I have two pieces of memory, would I place them both in either DIMM0 or both in DIMM1. In other words, do I place on in the far left and one in the left side of the two slots grouped on the right? Or does it even matter? Also, does it really matter if I use the DIMM0 or DIMM1.

Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonedog

My motherboard is a BOX865PERLL it supposivly Supports Dual Channel DDR 400/333/266 SDRAM Memory module. I am under the impression that this means if I have two sticks of equal memory that it would actually run faster than having one stick that is the same speed and size. But, I have four slots. Two grouped together on the left and two grouped together further to the right. In the book that came with my Motherboard it says the set up goes like this. The far left one is DIMM0 and the other slot on the left is DIMM1 then the two grouped on the right are the same. So, in order to use this duel channel capablility, and I have two pieces of memory, would I place them both in either DIMM0 or both in DIMM1. In other words, do I place on in the far left and one in the left side of the two slots grouped on the right? Or does it even matter? Also, does it really matter if I use the DIMM0 or DIMM1.

Usually the each group of DIMM slots are color coded, ie: first slot is blue second slot is black, this will be the same for foe the second group of DIMM slots. all you do is put a module in either the blue slots or the black slots.

so according to what you are saying, you would put a module in both DIMM 0 slots or a module in both DIMM 1 slots.

Thanks for any help you can give.

You would put a module in either both DIMM 0 slots or both DIMM 1 slots.

edit: Also if you look at the DIMM slots, most the time they are color coded. There will be a blue slots and a black slot in each group. You would put a module in the both blue slots or both black slots.

·
Premium Member
2,500 Posts
To posiblbly clear up this for you, as long as you have 2 sticks of the identical ram, make doens't mater, but as long as 2 sticks of the same ram are being used i.e. 2 sticks of 3200series 512MB you can put them side by side on the same group of 2 slots. But if you have differernt types of ram i.e. 3200 and 2700 of 512MB that will not work side by side you will have to put them in seperate slots, not right next to each other.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Disregarding how Intel has undoubtedly made this relatively simple concept absolutely impossible to understand in their manual, let's look at it this way: let's label the slots 1-2-3-4. In order to achieve dual channel with 2 sticks of RAM, you would want to populate either slots 1 & 3 simultaneously or slots 2 & 4 simultaneously. You can also achieve dual channel with 4 sticks of RAM (populating all 4 slots). Any other configuration will result in single channel operation.

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookedjunglist

I dont know if anyone has noticed this, but ive seen some mobos that have the channels stagered [SP?]
Ex: 1-3-2-4

Anyone notice this?? or did i just make this up or dream about it

Errr.... Sweet dreams spookey

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookedjunglist

I dont know if anyone has noticed this, but ive seen some mobos that have the channels stagered [SP?]
Ex: 1-3-2-4

Anyone notice this?? or did i just make this up or dream about it

A rare few boards do have it setup this way...altho I can't think of one specifically...and then of course, there's the Gigabyte board that has 6 RAM slots.

So, to get a little crazy w/ some simple text diagrams, the possibility could exist that you would have RAM slots like such:

wherein dual channel would actually be achieved by populating said slots as follows:

|| ||, || ||, or || ||.

Most, however, achieve dual channel as outlined in the above post:

|| ||, || ||, or || ||.

Confused yet?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoAffinity

A rare few boards do have it setup this way...altho I can't think of one specifically...and then of course, there's the Gigabyte board that has 6 RAM slots.

So, to get a little crazy w/ some simple text diagrams, the possibility could exist that you would have RAM slots like such:

wherein dual channel would actually be achieved by populating said slots as follows:

|| ||, || ||, or || ||.

Most, however, achieve dual channel as outlined in the above post:

|| ||, || ||, or || ||.

Confused yet?

well put

1 - 9 of 9 Posts