Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed my new 8320e and its running fine at 4.2ghz but every temp program ive tried seems to think my chip is running at 23c which isnt possible because my room is 22c and im only running a h50 cooler.

Am i going to have to RMA this chip or could it be a motherboard chipset driver problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicmat View Post

Just installed my new 8320e and its running fine at 4.2ghz but every temp program ive tried seems to think my chip is running at 23c which isnt possible because my room is 22c and im only running a h50 cooler.

Am i going to have to RMA this chip or could it be a motherboard chipset driver problem?
Neither of them, as far as I know the FX chips do not have an actual temperature sensor, rather they calculate the package temperature using an algorithm.

Even if it isn't true, all of the FXs work like this, so you hardly have to worry about it.
 

·
Computer Arsonist
Joined
·
2,620 Posts
The best thing you can do (What I do with my motherboard) is to look at the Socket Temp rather than the CPU temp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
doesnt look like my board has got a socket sensor, when i look down the list on hwmonitor theres nothing that looks like it would be socket temp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicmat View Post

doesnt look like my board has got a socket sensor, when i look down the list on hwmonitor theres nothing that looks like it would be socket temp.
CPUTIN? / CPU?

If possible post an HWMonitor screen here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will do when i get back home.

Wheb i click on fx8320e on hwmonitor it shows cpu temp but it cant be accuate.

On idle it thinkgs the cpu is at 23c which cant be possible as the ambient is around that. And then under load on prime the max it got to at 4.2ghz with 1.3vcore was 43c.

Unless im just underestimating this chip and my h50 cooler?
 

·
Computer Arsonist
Joined
·
2,620 Posts
What I do with my FX chip is since mine seems to bounce between (right now) 35*C and 45*C (It just keep jumping between the 2) I would just say it is about 40*C and according to the CPUTIN temp I am nearly spot on at 39*C
tongue.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,628 Posts
The temps the cpu gives are not accurate till cpu temp gets into the 40s, they are too low before that.

Same on all FX chips as far as I know (sure was like that on my fx8320). So don't worry about inaccurate temps below 45, and at that point and past, the value is very reliable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah thats good the know.

I was worried my chip would be mega hot at 1.3v, seems i can push it up and aim for 4.4 then..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicmat View Post

Ah thats good the know.

I was worried my chip would be mega hot at 1.3v, seems i can push it up and aim for 4.4 then..
1.3 V is nothing for the FX chips, you shouldn't worry about it.

Things tend to get hot at 1.45+ V though, take that into consideration.

But yeah, unless it's loaded FX temps tend to be inaccurate.
 

·
Computer Arsonist
Joined
·
2,620 Posts
It does seem strange that your 970fx chipset motherboard does not have a CPUTIN sensor...
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top