Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy's , been a long time since I've posted here. Always been the place to go for me when I have questions like this. Just looking for some advice on something.

I go camping a bunch in places where I have no reception at all. I have like 200+ old DVD's and Blu-ray's I'd like to start working on converting over to digital format ( which honestly , I',m sure what the most popular format is? )

I have a few portable HD's , and can store quite a bit , so I'd like to keep the quality as best as I can.

What's an easy to use software that you guy's can recommend. Not looking for anything fancy , just something to burn the discs I have , turn them to digital and be able to watch them in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks in advance for any of you guy's that may help steer me in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
4,871 Posts
Hey guy's , been a long time since I've posted here. Always been the place to go for me when I have questions like this. Just looking for some advice on something.

I go camping a bunch in places where I have no reception at all. I have like 200+ old DVD's and Blu-ray's I'd like to start working on converting over to digital format ( which honestly , I',m sure what the most popular format is? )

I have a few portable HD's , and can store quite a bit , so I'd like to keep the quality as best as I can.

What's an easy to use software that you guy's can recommend. Not looking for anything fancy , just something to burn the discs I have , turn them to digital and be able to watch them in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks in advance for any of you guy's that may help steer me in the right direction.

not saying its the best, but i've used it before and I know it works, VLC has a few built in tools that should be able to help you out https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=using+vlc+to+rip+blu+ray

·
LTSC for life crew
2,884 Posts

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,192 Posts
if it's UHD BluRay you need a specific drive (or rather a specific drive with a specific firmware on it), if it's just 1080p BR then there's mountains of programs to do it. I like MakeMKV, it can do both (again, it'll only do 4K if you have the right drive/firmware) but it's only got a 30 day trial. If you're not ripping 4K then there's tons of free alternatives and VLC can rip DVDs if you use that as your media player.

4K UHD movies are going to be upwards of 50 GB uncompressed after you rip, just compress it with whatever software you wanna use. I use Handbrake, there's presets and surely you can find something that works for the file size you're after. There's even a nice and handy "preview" button so it'll show you what the video will look like with whatever compression settings you use (in 10 second clips) rather than you finding out it looks like ass after an hour+ of compressing it.

I just crop out the black bars so I can go full screen on 16:9 and leave most of mine uncompressed until I start running into storage issues ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

·
Registered
432 Posts
MakeMKV for actually ripping it once you have hte proper hardware. Handbrake if your just useing one simple PC to encode with, if you got several PC's like me or a few dual CPU xeons you can leverage you can take a gander at ripBot.

Also Hi Pooks!

• Rep+
Reactions: The Pook

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,192 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Awesome!! Thanks you guys!

And yeah , I just have this one PC to rip / format into a video file. I don't have any UHD BR discs that I'm aware of , just standard BR and a ton of dvd's. I have some movies stored on my HD , that even between 3 - 5GB look really , really good. That's kind of what I'm shooting for in size with whatever movie I rip.

Thanks again you guys. You never let me down here.

• Rep+
Reactions: The Pook
1 - 7 of 7 Posts