Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'kay, so I burned my first DVD today, and using DVDShrink, getting a full disc, I had 58% compression. I see no difference compared to a regular disc with no compression. What's really supposed to change? When will I see a difference?

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Legion Kreinak

What things have you noticed it with?

I would think compression would only show on really flashy scenes.

you'll sometimes see a distorted pictures or "not as clear" as in the original DVD, otherwise, everything is the same

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
If you watch the movie on a big screen HDTV (42" or above) with a progressive scan DVD player (and component video cables), then clearly you can see a difference. This is why when I rip DVD's, I take out the extras and menu and just rip the actual movie....of course, the movies that I own

·
I remember when......
3,812 Posts
wudaddy is right.....it really depends on your equipment. I have several discs I burned at 60-70% and never saw a difference on my old 32" CRT tv.....now I go and watch them on my 42 WEGA LCD and I can see all kinds of artifacts and blockiness. Still, using 2 single layer discs is still cheaper than one dual-layer......although the prices have been dropping.

It also depends on media. Using no name blanks from the discount bin can cause errors as well.

Shrink has a good method for sure, but personally, I prefer CloneDVD.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts