Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would this be good to use? I'm getting sick and tired of using the dvi to vga adapter to use a vga cable cause every now and then the weight makes the adapter come out (i always have had issues with the little screw in things coming out and the way the adapter was made its impossible to screw in the thing anyway) would a dvi-hdmi cable solve this issue?

and vizio says that the tv is capable of 1920x1080 which im guessing is with hdmi? would the cable transmit sound like a normal hdmi cable would?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Your video card came with a DVI-HDMI adapter. Use that to transmit video and sound. Just get a HDMI cable now.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
Your video card came with a DVI-HDMI adapter. Use that to transmit video and sound. Just get a HDMI cable now.
oddly it didnt, only came with dvi to vga o_O and the s-video adapter

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMirrorLink View Post
oddly it didnt, only came with dvi to vga o_O and the s-video adapter

Is this it?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
I'm not sure if all DVI-to-HDMI have the same pinouts.

DVI to HDMI audio support was not part of the original DVI specs. ATI invented that feature.

·
Premium Member
5,532 Posts
Quote:

hmm so would a dvi-hdmi adapter from newegg do it?
Don't do that just go to www.monoprice.com and get a dvi to hdmi cord. I bought one last week for $5 shipped for a 6ft cord

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

well would the dvi to hdmi transmit audio or just sound?

Using an ATI vendor providedd DVI-to-HDMI definitely will.

I am just not sure if all DVI-to-HDMI adapters do. I don't know if ATI/NVIDIA did any special pinout changes to support audio.

I would contact XFX first and see if you can get a freebie adapter.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
would i just email customer support or what? and i read some reviews (i was looking at monoprice at first but i went to newegg not knowing monoprice had adapters) and they said the audio via dvi-hdmi worked

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

would i just email customer support or what? and i read some reviews (i was looking at monoprice at first but i went to newegg not knowing monoprice had adapters) and they said the audio via dvi-hdmi worked
Call XFX up and ask. If they say no, go buy it at monoprice.

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
Using an ATI vendor providedd DVI-to-HDMI definitely will.

I am just not sure if all DVI-to-HDMI adapters do. I don't know if ATI/NVIDIA did any special pinout changes to support audio.

I would contact XFX first and see if you can get a freebie adapter.
ATI did make special pinout changes, also the cards have pin sensing and won't enable the audio (in the driver aswell) until the adapter/HDMI cable is plugged to a HDMI audio capable device (windows sound says device not plugged in). As far as ATI reference cards the 4K and 5K share the same adapter, the lower series have different ones - they are available retail although I'm struggling to find one ATM. If its not reference it may not be available though.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i sent a support ticket to xfx, can't call them at the moment but ill try calling them later, if i can get one for free from them ill just order a couple of hdmi cables, one for my computer to hdtv and another for my cable box to my other hdtv

edit: they said they are sending one out

XFX RULES

[ 9/21/2010 8:07:56 PM] i saw the packaging list on your site and it said that i would have a dvi-hdmi adapter, it didnt bother me until recently because i had no use for it but i recently got an hdtv and i was wondering if you provided a free one since i didnt get one
[BRIAN 9/21/2010 8:17:32 PM] Hi, I`ll have it sent to the address in your account information. Thanks, Brian.
[ 9/21/2010 8:19:47 PM] thank you very much!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts