Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

Just a quick question. I tried googling it but didn't really stumble upon a straightforward answer to my question.

Why is DVI better then VGA? I understand DVi is digital and can handle Higher resolutions, but if I use my sig monitor, what are the practical advantages of that DVI connection? Just a question that popped up when I noticed I automatically always connect DVI instead of VGA.

I once tried switching back and forth, but if I set the resolution (1680-1050) the same I didn't really notice any differences

Increase in response time? I don't have a clue.

Thanks everyone

A helpfull link will do as well

Dries

· Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks REP+ for you.
And on a side note, when a screen is 2ms it's like 500Hz right?
I think I'm quite right about this, allthough it's strange when I see TVs are called astonishing when they haev 100Hz. I guess it's due to the bigger screens and different technology that crawls into it.

· Team Red Lobbyist
1,661 Posts
I only have one HDMI on my 42 inch 1366x768 - so that gets the FIOS..

I use VGA for my HTPC connection, and just have the audio going in separate.

Gaming and DVD's (upscaled...they look SWEET)....all look awesome. I wouldn't use it for blu ray - but it absolutely fine at my rez...

just what I've seen!

· Registered
3,898 Posts
Basically, VGA is an approximate signal, because it is analog. You can get good image quality, but never the full image quality.

DVI overcomes this by making the signal digital, so that you always get the exact image.

Generally, VGA is fuzzier than DVI.

· Registered
993 Posts

· Premium Member
3,431 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by llama16 View Post
thanks REP+ for you.
And on a side note, when a screen is 2ms it's like 500Hz right?
I think I'm quite right about this, allthough it's strange when I see TVs are called astonishing when they haev 100Hz. I guess it's due to the bigger screens and different technology that crawls into it.
No, the response time and refresh rate are 2 different things. one does not affect the other. its true that a higher refresh rate is better, but there is currently no monitor or tv capable of 500hz. The highest right now i believe is 240Hz. I'm not an expert on monitors, but I'm trying to explain it the best I can.

· Registered
3,898 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by traderonline View Post
so if i use an anlog monitor with vga to dvi converter will i notice any big difference ?
You probably won't notice any difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.