Overclock.net banner

Which DX 10 Pill Should I Swallow: Red or Green?

• Red..stay true...spend crazy money later upgrading

Votes: 56 50.9%
  • Green: revert....get on top now! Forget Upgrades...you'll sell that board in a week anyway

Votes: 54 49.1%
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make the P5K Deluxe rig truly cutting edge...help me choose which pill to swallow: the Red pill will take me as far down the hole as I want to go: all the way to a $1000 CF set up
The Green Pill will let me wake up in my bed in the morning, but able to Pwn.

Which Pill Should I swallow?

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Go Red. There CF stuff looks extremely promising. Wait it out.

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol...but IF you could which way would you go if you had a killer CF capable mobo...

I know the Nvidia 8800 series is the top kit available...but I love me some ATI and just droool when i see the 2900XT 1 GB DDR4

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
DX10 games out yet? In my opinion, and this is pretty much probably only my opinion, but why buy a DX10 card for games that aren't out yet?

If you really want the DX10 awesomeness, wait for the next series of DX10 cards, as they will either

A)Be faster
B)Cost less
C)More prepared for DX10
D)All of the above

Buy an 8800 now, by the time DX10 games are out then you have a 6 month old card...or you could use what you have now, and when you finally go DX10 come closer to breaking even.

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by rabidgnome229 View Post
Don't go CF until the drivers are good enough to at least use AA

And FYI - it's the red/blue pill

Not in this scenario--I already swallowed the Blue Pill when I went C2D

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
The 2900 XT ended up better than the 8800 GTS right?

Then the 2900 XTX should end up better than the 8800 GTX...

So you could wait, or just go for SLI GTX right now

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kopi View Post
DX10 games out yet? In my opinion, and this is pretty much probably only my opinion, but why buy a DX10 card for games that aren't out yet?

If you really want the DX10 awesomeness, wait for the next series of DX10 cards, as they will either

A)Be faster
B)Cost less
C)More prepared for DX10
D)All of the above

Buy an 8800 now, by the time DX10 games are out then you have a 6 month old card...or you could use what you have now, and when you finally go DX10 come closer to breaking even.

GREEN
That makes way too much sense dammit...

·
Premium Member
7,366 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezixn View Post
The 2900 XT ended up better than the 8800 GTS right?

Then the 2900 XTX should end up better than the 8800 GTX...

So you could wait, or just go for SLI GTX right now

There is no XTX......The 1GB version of XT is theoretically the XTX but since AMD didn't wanna risk it themselves, the 3rd-party vendors made them and called it XT 1GB.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kopi View Post

A)Be faster
B)Cost less
C)More prepared for DX10
D)All of the above

You and many other non-DX10 card owners are viewing the situation in a different perspective. Just because these cards support DX10 doesn't mean they must be used on DX10 only. There isn't a faster DX9 card than these DX10 card. Also notice that last gen cards don't perform well at high resolutions even in SLI/CF mode, where resolution is a much smaller performance hit on these DX10 cards. X1950XTX CF can match a 8800GTX in 1280x1024, but at some 30" monitor resolution, a 8800GTX appears to be twice as fast. Same thing with AA.

So why a DX10 card with no DX10 games? Because I can enjoy all my games at highest settings possible right now with a simple single card setup while this single card also has the ability to do DX10.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberDruid View Post
I want to make the P5K Deluxe rig truly cutting edge...help me choose which pill to swallow: the Red pill will take me as far down the hole as I want to go: all the way to a $100 CF set up
The Green Pill will let me wake up in my bed in the morning, but able to Pwn.

Which Pill Should I swallow?
so... with the red pill you wont wake up in your bed in the morning?

meaning you would wake up in her bed?:

or that your woman will disown you?
LL

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberDruid View Post
That makes way too much sense dammit...

This is comming from a 16 year old with no job though haha

·
Registered
361 Posts
I would wait a little bit still. Im willing to bet that the HD 2900 drivers will get better and performance will only increase. Will it be better then the 8800's? I don't know but i believe its worth waiting to see.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Green pill. Two GTX's in SLI would pwn.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts