Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having strange CTD's w/Dying Light. I always figured it was the overclock being applied to my 1080ti, but every other game worked at those overclocks (2100/5003 Mhz. 1.143V, which I'll be looking into trying to drop soon). Anyway, I noticed a few FPS improvement when turning off G-Sync in Deus Ex:Mankind Divided and using fast vsync/triple buffering instead so tried it out w/Dying Light.

When I raised the maximum pre-rendered frames to 4, turned off G-Sync, turned on fast vsync/triple-buffering and set the preferred refresh rate to "highest available" my minimum framerates in one area of Dying Light increased from 58 FPS to 118 FPS at the same graphics settings (except vsync turned on in-game). So I'm not sure if G-sync was holding performance back or what, but it looks like it was causing my CTD's in Dying Light.

Funny thing is, I've noticed a slight increase in FPS across the board w/all games by turning off G-Sync and using fast vsync/triple buffering instead and no screen tearing either.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Interesting! How's the input lag with these new settings in comparison to when you were using G-SYNC?

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting! How's the input lag with these new settings in comparison to when you were using G-SYNC?
I found the input lag difference between G-Sync and vsync-fast/triple-buffered/max-pre-rendered-frames to be unnoticeable. Just out of curiosity if you're getting better minimum FPS would that imply your input lag would be less?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
I found the input lag difference between G-Sync and vsync-fast/triple-buffered/max-pre-rendered-frames to be unnoticeable. Just out of curiosity if you're getting better minimum FPS would that imply your input lag would be less?
Oh, hey, y'know, I don't know. lol :)

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It sounds to me like you had some sort of vsync on before, and the game was running at 60hz.
At some geographic areas of the game the FPS would tank to sub-60 FPS w/G-Sync enabled, but outside of those areas it would hit above 100 FPS. Now at those specific geographic areas the FPS has more than doubled in some cases. Also, my inexplicable CTD's in Dying Light seem to have disappeared now that G-Sync is off.

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
Not at all. The higher minimum FPS just means your game is smoother at the worst points. You can have a smooth game and still have input lag.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never mind this thread, it turns out when I changed the video settings Dying Light reduced the draw distance in the game to minimal levels. If anyone out there has The Following installed it has its own configuration file that overrides the normal Dying Light config file located in mydocuments.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts