Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took my computer out of storage back in July and set it up as my gaming rig once more. The reason why it was in storage for a bit over two years, is because I had been living in a dorm as well as living in a frat house. No space for my rig as well as a general distrust of the people I had been living with. But now that's changed.

Anyway, the only major upgrade I've done for my rig in a long time was going from a GTX 580 to an R9 390.

However, since around September-October I've been plagued with random restarts while gaming or even while watching Youtube videos. Often I'd go for days without having a restart, or I'd have at least one per day. It's completely random.

Unfortunately it's gotten worse over the last couple of months, becoming especially evident while playing The Division. My computer would restart once every 45-60 minutes while playing the game on High settings, and setting everything to the Low preset would only delay the inevitable by another half hour or so.

My PSU is the NZXT HALE90 850-M, bought in April 2011. I've never done any major overclocking on it, and I cleared any dust I could get to with compressed air almost 4 months ago. The interior of my case as well as the parts were remarkably dust-free when I unpacked my PC from its sealed box.

Now the latter part of my question relates to the place I live. It's an old house, built in the late 1950's, which I share with two roommates. I have no idea when the wiring was last inspected, but all the breakers are rated at 20A or greater.

I do not own a UPS and I honestly can't really afford one at the moment, since I have funds earmarked for a new PSU. Money is tight, so it's one or the other.

I'm torn between the EVGA 850 P2 or the EVGA 850 G2. The Corsair AX860i is on the table as well. Any suggestions between the three (or any other PSUs) would be helpful as well. I'm willing to put down a substantial sum if it gives me peace of mind for the next few years or so, as I plan on going with a high end Kaby Lake/Zen CPU and Vega flagship GPU once they release.

Note: I have never gotten a BSOD or any other error, except for Kernel Power Event 41 (in Event Viewer).

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Get (beg, borrow, steal) a volt meter and check the mains while you're using your computer. You could also check a 12 v molex too.

Sounds like a heat problem though.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,828 Posts
You dont need anywhere 850 watts unless you are going to add a second video card.
The NZXT HALE 82-M is a rebrand of the Seasonic M12II so its not bad.

You are aware that its a multi rail unit right? so if your PC is shutting down maybe you are just overloading one of the 12v rails.
Take out all of the cables and make sure you have them spread out over as many rails as you can.

·
Registered
329 Posts
it had same issues with fractal r1000 newton plati psu, random restart in gameing seasons ( mosty h1z1 ) got it replaced with evga 850 g2, never had issues since

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

Get (beg, borrow, steal) a volt meter and check the mains while you're using your computer. You could also check a 12 v molex too.

Sounds like a heat problem though.
Heat problem with what? PSU or another part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

You dont need anywhere 850 watts unless you are going to add a second video card.
The NZXT HALE 82-M is a rebrand of the Seasonic M12II so its not bad.

You are aware that its a multi rail unit right? so if your PC is shutting down maybe you are just overloading one of the 12v rails.
Take out all of the cables and make sure you have them spread out over as many rails as you can.
Mine is the NZXT HALE 90 850-M (OEM is Super Flower IIRC), not the 82. Mine has a single 12v rail.

I went with 850 because at the time I planned on going SLI, but that never came about. I know I don't need 850 watts, but I appreciate the headroom, plus the efficiency seems to max out at around half load or so, which probably falls in line with what my PC uses.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,828 Posts
Sory for some reason i saw 82 and not 90 so never mind.

As for the efficiency you should read this
50% Load Myth

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Sory for some reason i saw 82 and not 90 so never mind.

As for the efficiency you should read this
50% Load Myth
Interesting.

I don't know, I still would feel better with the extra headroom afforded by a 750/850W PSU. The price difference is pretty minor. And I do plan on going all out with my next PC rebuild, which may or may not include CrossfireX or SLI.

As far as a new PSU is concerned, I'm still torn between the EVGA 750/850 P2, G2, or the Corsair AX760i/860i. Any suggestions for different PSUs would be great too.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,828 Posts
The AXi is a ripoff and the only Corsair PSU worth looking at is the RMx.
G2 and RMx are newer better cheaper and more quiet then the old AXi.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

The AXi is a ripoff and the only Corsair PSU worth looking at is the RMx.
G2 and RMx are newer better cheaper and more quiet then the old AXi.
Yea I figured the AXi wouldn't be the best of choices.

For me, the 750 P2 is nearly the same price as the 750 G2. Same goes for the 850w versions.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarathKasun View Post

A good 650w unit is good enough for CFX/SLI in pretty much all cases except for flagship cards. Possibly excluding the 290x/390x.
This.

I ran my 1.52V CPU with 2x HD7950 with a 620W Antec High Current Gamer which is not even a quality PSU.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stige View Post

I ran my 1.52V CPU with 2x HD7950 with a 620W Antec High Current Gamer which is not even a quality PSU.
Not high quality? what you must be joking or something?
Sure they are bit old but they where never not high quality.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Quote:

Not high quality? what you must be joking or something?
Sure they are bit old but they where never not high quality.
No, it was far from quality. The 12V line dropped to like 11.5V under load, just a crap PSU really.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Antec/HCG-620/5.html

Just look at it for yourself, it might have some cheap Seasonic insides but it is still awful. Even though it says even the 11.6V they tested on 12V line is "acceptable", I don't think it is. Dropping so much below 12V is just.. **** really.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stige View Post

No, it was far from quality. The 12V line dropped to like 11.5V under load, just a crap PSU really.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Antec/HCG-620/5.html

Just look at it for yourself, it might have some cheap Seasonic insides but it is still awful. Even though it says even the 11.6V they tested on 12V line is "acceptable", I don't think it is. Dropping so much below 12V is just.. **** really.
Did you get that reading from software or from a digtal multi meter?
If it was from software you have been lied to as there is nothing more unreliable then software.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Quote:

Did you get that reading from software or from a digtal multi meter?
If it was from software you have been lied to as there is nothing more unreliable then software.
Obviously a DMM, even my current PSU says 11.7V in GPU-Z but never budges from ~12V in reality. I know enough not to trust those coming from Z77 AsRock motherboards...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Could my PSU problem be related to the amount of time my computer sat in storage? It spent over 2 years sealed up in a box. The storage was not climate-controlled.

I could test my PSU at my cousin's house, which is brand new. Run some stress tests for a few hours and see if it restarts then.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Believe me, that's the best option... Then you will be sure if your home electricity is fine or not... Long sealed time shouldn't be problem unless it was exposed to extremely humid environment.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnatan8 View Post

Believe me, that's the best option... Then you will be sure if your home electricity is fine or not... Long sealed time shouldn't be problem unless it was exposed to extremely humid environment.
I figured that. Fortunately I live in a semi-arid climate.

Now what if my home's electricity is the problem? Would a UPS suffice?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts