Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I have a Kingston 64gb SSD, it's a few years old now. I use it as my c drive, just for windows and have all my programs and documents elsewhere. Today, it wants to run chkdsk on in, won't boot windows otherwise. It tries to recover orphaned files. I get sick of waiting, read something about a guy leaving it run for 60hrs and getting nowhere (still running). In any case, it's a throwaway install, and I was going to reinstall windows soon anyways as it was getting slow and old. So my question is: should I just reinstall, ie the drive is most likely fine and these bad sectors will be the end of it, or is this the beginning of the end, and I should just throw it out?

·
Computer Arsonist
2,620 Posts
Another option is to get a bootable linux drive and mount/check the SSD life from within linux.

·
RPG Gamer
4,224 Posts

·
High Clocker
3,672 Posts
Those life programs are worthless. Had two drives die that had more then 95% life left on them.
First one, would get errors "files are in use" and then random freezing. Reinstalled windows went for another few months then just stopped getting detected.
Second one, Boot manager kept getting damaged and would have to fix it. Then just stopped getting detected by mobo.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
please try a new sata cable. i have had issues exactly like this and new cable fixed it.

·
RPG Gamer
4,224 Posts
New cable, different sata port (making sure AHCI mode is on).
Even fresh install most times freshens the SSD.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
This sounds silly, but try going into your bios and leaving your machien there over night and see if that helps with things.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If u really wanted to recover it you could boot of Linux on a USB and then copy all the stuff over to a new drive or one you would use temporarily.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK so I reinstalled on the drive, it worked for a time. Installed windows again, good for a time, down again. I'm used to the procedure now. I'm trying to break out of the cycle and put my new OS on my 500gb Seagate, which was previously used in a raid 0 configuration.. till I spilled something on its mate and killed it. However, after getting the BIOS back into IDE mode from raid, and with only the one (seagate) disk in (want to avoid accidentally formatting my other drives in this operation), I can't get Windows to install on it when it asks me where I want to install it.

Any and all information on the drive is useless, and I've formatted it many times with the windows 7 cd "install windows" tool. The error is as follows:

"Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the Setup log files for more information"

I have tried following the guide on this page:

Where it says to do "create partition primary align=1024 ", in CMD it says that it is an invalid command. Following the rest of the instructions goes smoothly, but does not result in success. Any ideas what else I should do to get this drive working for me? I also tried "clean all" command, but likewise fruitless.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Remove all drives from the PC but the HDD.
Run DBAN.

EDIT: NEVER run this with an SSD installed. If it doesn't kill an SSD, the usable life of the drive will be reduced.

• Rep+
Reactions: angrysasquatch

·
Banned
481 Posts
Scored the OCZ Arc 100 $70 after rebate Tiger direct. Regardless how it benches it feels pretty quick/responsive, two in raid must be pretty neat.

went from yeah WD Blue booting up 20-30 seconds to about 5-10 seconds just barely catch windows logo then you are in etc can't beat that xD

And yes I can tell difference even gaming especially the online stuff accessing/thrashing the drive....ridiculously better load times.... smoother textures/ greater details that I notice now like wow and less hitchy/stuttery etc

frames might of been affected in some but it would be the minimum frames/better average slightly...it's definitely more how it looks can't believe some say there is no difference/can't see it. That alone just no way going back to HDD.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
No problem. Use it as a last resort for HDDs. If DBAN can't fix it, it's probably broken and it will tell you.
Just be glad you only have 500g...still, I bet it took all night.
tongue.gif

1 - 16 of 16 Posts