Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Linux Lobbyist
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to port a Java project to the Windows environment, specifically Windows RT & 8 on tablets, and Windows Phone 8 (and maybe WP7.5). The project makes use of dynamic code loading during its runtime, so the C#/.NET environment looks like the best fit.

However, looking at this article, I'm confused. Windows RT cannot run .NET apps, but supports C# and has the WinRT runtime. Windows Phone is the same; it supports a .NET runtime on WP7.5, but only WinRT on WP8.0.

So is dynamic class loading a property of C# or the .NET runtime, and does this feature survive (along with the platform independence of C#/.NET) on the WinRT platform? What would be the best target for the port?

Many thanks.
smile.gif

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Dynamic code loading would be in System.Reflection iirc, and most of that is offlimits for WP + W8 apps, due to security restrictions.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyexz View Post

It used to be done with Reflection but it got rolled into .NET official as of .NET 4.0 I believe, more efficient.
Reflection IS .NET official...

·
Linux Lobbyist
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@thread

Many thanks for the responses. I guess the only way to really know is to start the port and see what the differences are.
smile.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.