Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Linux Lobbyist
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to port a Java project to the Windows environment, specifically Windows RT & 8 on tablets, and Windows Phone 8 (and maybe WP7.5). The project makes use of dynamic code loading during its runtime, so the C#/.NET environment looks like the best fit.

However, looking at this article, I'm confused. Windows RT cannot run .NET apps, but supports C# and has the WinRT runtime. Windows Phone is the same; it supports a .NET runtime on WP7.5, but only WinRT on WP8.0.

So is dynamic class loading a property of C# or the .NET runtime, and does this feature survive (along with the platform independence of C#/.NET) on the WinRT platform? What would be the best target for the port?

Many thanks.
smile.gif

·
Registered
468 Posts
I believe the dynamic code loading is a feature fully implemented in .NET 4.0, it's language agnostic as far as I'm aware, with it all wrapped up in dynamic keyword and .CreateInstance()... that being said I'm unsure as to whether this functionality was ported to WinRT.

Windows 8 having .NET available to it wouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Dynamic code loading would be in System.Reflection iirc, and most of that is offlimits for WP + W8 apps, due to security restrictions.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyexz View Post

It used to be done with Reflection but it got rolled into .NET official as of .NET 4.0 I believe, more efficient.
Reflection IS .NET official...

·
Linux Lobbyist
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@thread

Many thanks for the responses. I guess the only way to really know is to start the port and see what the differences are.
smile.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts