Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cpu was running a little hot (65C idle, 80 load), I went to Best Buy and got some Dynex Silver Thermal Compound. I figured this would help because I previously was using cheap stuff from compusa. I put in the new stuff and turned on the computer. Now it is IDLING at 94C!!!!! Is it Dynex or something else? I tried reinstalling the heatsink and compound thinking I did something wrong, but there was no improvement.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stupid Best Buy... All they have is dynex and I had a Best Buy gift card. Ohh well, I am gonna have to fork out the cash and get the artic silver, I have heard a lot of good things about them.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Holy S--t dude you cpu is very very hot.I would say if you installed it correctly twice and it is still doing that the stuff is crap.should've got some AS5

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just called Dynex Customer Support and they said that Best Buy will refund the product...

I also did some research, the Dynex stuff has a thermal conductivity of: 9.2428 w/m.C

the Antec is:8.2 w/m.K (not sure why Dynex is C and Antec is K)
Artic Silver: >350,000 w/m^2.c

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldovi

Just called Dynex Customer Support and they said that Best Buy will refund the product...

I also did some research, the Dynex stuff has a thermal conductivity of: 9.2428 w/m.C

the Antec is:8.2 w/m.K (not sure why Dynex is C and Antec is K)
Artic Silver: >350,000 w/m^2.c

And what does that supposed to mean?

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well considering the units arnt the same... not a damn thing. The bottom line, the artic silver is 88% pure silver by weight, Antec is 80%, and Dynex is only 50%

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Quote:

well considering the units arnt the same... not a damn thing. The bottom line, the artic silver is 88% pure silver by weight, Antec is 80%, and Dynex is only 50%

Yeah, i understand .

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Maybe you used too much? Or got an air bubble? But really, something that's 50% silver shouldn't be worse than stock. I would reseat it if I were you and only use a small ammount this time.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishie36

Maybe you used too much? Or got an air bubble? But really, something that's 50% silver shouldn't be worse than stock. I would reseat it if I were you and only use a small ammount this time.

Why would there be a problem with too much?

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Quote:

Why would there be a problem with too much?

This is one of the most common mistakes with thermal paste, and it is infact a very big problem. Thermal paste is only needed to fill the microscipic valleys between the heatsink and cpu, so if you use more than a barely visable layer, it will insulate the cpu and cause very high temps. You're suppsed to use the ammount of half a BB (.177) in the very center and let the heatsink squish it out to avoid air pockets which are also very bad.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

This is one of the most common mistakes with thermal paste, and it is infact a very big problem. Thermal paste is only needed to fill the microscipic valleys between the heatsink and cpu, so if you use more than a barely visable layer, it will insulate the cpu and cause very high temps. You're suppsed to use the ammount of half a BB (.177) in the very center and let the heatsink squish it out to avoid air pockets which are also very bad.

Thanks! Rep!

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

I re-applied the thermal compound. Computer would only start for a few seconds... then beep and turn off. I took off the heatsink, and there wasnt even any contact between the two. So, I added a smidge more, and then properly installed the heatsink (one the the mounts didnt connect properly, stupid 775). Now I am idling around 52C, which is a 13C inprovement! Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
13,775 Posts
Quote:

I re-applied the thermal compound. Computer would only start for a few seconds... then beep and turn off. I took off the heatsink, and there wasnt even any contact between the two. So, I added a smidge more, and then properly installed the heatsink (one the the mounts didnt connect properly, stupid 775). Now I am idling around 52C, which is a 13C inprovement! Thanks guys!

Hmmmm.....you sure your HS isn't defective? Because even if I don't get my XP-90 on all the way, it still contacts in some way......

·
Registered
2 Posts
As pointed out in some other forum articles, thermal conductivity and thermal conductance are different terms and calculated differently. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_conductivity for more info. I think the marketing folks for AS5 have taken advantage of the confusion surrounding the two terms.

The package specs on Dynex and AS5 are as follows:

Dynex: >8.2W/mK
AS5: >8.7W/mK

C stands for Celsius and K for Kelvin and I've see the C mistakenly substituted for K on some packaging and ads.

So if you go purely by the manufacturers specs, there's not that much difference in thermalconductivity. However, being a curious sort, I have a tube of each and will try to conduct comparison tests. I'll let you know how it goes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts