Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I get one over the other? I know the E0s are better OCers from reading this forum, but how do I make sure I get an E0 when ordering the CPU?

Also, which to get....E8400.....or E8600?? I'm trying to stay on a budget as my mobo crapped out on me and while I'm replacing that, I figure I'll just upgrade to Intel and DDR2 1200 RAM, so if the advantage of the E8600 isn't worth the price difference when on a budget, ill just stick with the 8400.

Here is the list as of now. I plan to order on black friday, hoping prices on newegg will drop

Asus P5Q Pro

E8400 CPU

OCZ Reaper (2 * 1G)

I know I will need another CPU water block and maybe new tubing if I can't clean the tubing as have. It has a brown tint to it from the green liquid I have used and I want to switch it to blue and don't want that muddy tint to it.

Those parts will all be put into the rig in my sig which as of now is just a huge paper weight...

"KB"

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Just get the 8400, it will do fine for what you want, as for the E0 vs. C0 on newegg, you cannot be sure. it is like 25% chance you get a E0 with how many C0's and B3's around.

·
Overclocker
4,180 Posts
That is the thing by ordering online, it's a 50/50 change in getting the C0 or the E0 cpu you want. If the box has the SLB9J on it then it's the E0 stepping.

There has been people here getting the E0 from newegg. So you maybe in luck. I think by black Friday prices might go down.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I'm going to go with the E8600. The site I plan to order from has the E0s and I can probably get the CPU much cheaper from ASI than I would be able to on newegg.

Thanks for the info.

"KB"

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
It's really easy to get an E0 E8400 to 4 GHz with pretty low voltages. All E8600's have the E0 core revision and also have a 10.0 multi, so hitting 4 GHz will take almost no effort.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
If you have a Microcenter by you I suggest going there , 149 and YOU hand pick from the skews Tell them you need an EO and they will know , but just in case ,,they started EO
Q820A ish so after that date is EO BATCH ##

·
Registered
584 Posts
In my opinion it doesnt really matter.

Both CO AND EO on the 84xx range are excellent cpu's.. and OC like crazy.

Mine is a C0 and I have a vid of 1.1875 and the cpu is really cool temp wise...
Once I got a decent hsf on it it performed like a dream.

Dont stress too much about what stepping you get - these cpu's are dynamite whatever the stepping..

Nemes

·
Registered
236 Posts
I got my e8400 at 4.2ghz stable at 1.3 vcore right now. After 2 hrs of OCCT it maxes at 52 degrees. sweet, gonna bump it up again. Oh, and yes it's E0 stepping from newegg bought back in septempber

1 - 13 of 13 Posts