Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, at the moment I have my E2140 at 2.6ghz (stock is 1.6ghz) at stock voltage. I was thinking about trying to go higher, as I have read reviews that stated they have gotten to 2.9ghz by raising the voltage. My question is, how much should I raise the voltage? According to CPU-Z my core voltage is currently at 1.200, and the bios says 1.32500
Attachment 86718

Also, how accurate is speedfan for reading temps? I am using the stock cooler, so I am wondering how high I should go. According to speedfan, my core 0 and core 1 temps are 40c (while playing cod4, speefan says 35% cpu useage)
Attachment 86720

also if you would like to see the specs of the machine, it is my HTPC/LAN rig, not in my sig but I have it in my system info.
LL
LL

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by borito4 View Post
You should be able to go up to 1.4 safely without any worry. DOnt use speedfan for temps use:
Core temp : http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
Or
Real Temp: http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

Thanks, I'll start using those instead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by br3nd064 View Post
Intel says you're safe up to 1.5v and 73.2c. http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SLA93

Use one of the apps that borito4 posted for temp readings. You can use the stock heatsink as long as you stay under 73.2c under full load.
so should I just put my voltage all the way up to 1.5 and see how high I can go?
or should I only raise my voltage as much as I absolutly have to in order to acheve the speed I want? I don't know how much raising the voltage actually effects the cpu, would having a lower voltage have a benefit over just putting it to 1.5?

·
Banned
8,950 Posts
I've got a E2160, which is the same type chip, and to get it to 3.0Ghz, I needed to raise my voltage in my BIOS to 1.425. Windows shows that around 1.38, so give or take that.

You'll be safe up higher, as I've had mine up to 1.45 and was fine, but it was not needed that high.

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by halifax1 View Post
I've got a E2160, which is the same type chip, and to get it to 3.0Ghz, I needed to raise my voltage in my BIOS to 1.425. Windows shows that around 1.38, so give or take that.

You'll be safe up higher, as I've had mine up to 1.45 and was fine, but it was not needed that high.
Okay, so I guess I will try setting my voltage somewhere around 1.425, thanks

·
Premium Member
7,017 Posts
I would advise not to raise it up so high, but if the temps stay under 61c then it's good.. You have to bump the vcore up slightly as needed.

·
Premium Member
4,420 Posts
Just bump up the vcore as you go along. Different cpu's need different voltages.

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by br3nd064 View Post
Just bump up the vcore as you go along. Different cpu's need different voltages.
Okay, in that case I'll just raise it little by little and stop where its good

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
Okay, so I guess I will try setting my voltage somewhere around 1.425, thanks
Yeah set your Vcore to 1.4 and aim for 3.0GHz.

These E2*** chip have FSB wall between 380 & 420FSB

I'm kinda of lucky because I have a 12x Multi on my Pentium Chip so less FSB is needed to achieve maximum overclock. at the moment i'm 266.6FSB x 12 which = 3.2GHz

Try this config 375FSB x 8 and up your vcore to 1.4+V

·
Banned
8,950 Posts
You could BSEL mod the chip. And then see where you're at. BSEL modding it should bring it to 2.2Ghz, and then you can just up the FSB up a little more.

I did that on another board and got it to 2.6Ghz with no voltage increase and it was perfectly stable.

·
Banned
8,950 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SickStew
View Post

Yeah set your Vcore to 1.4 and aim for 3.0GHz.

These E2*** chip have FSB wall between 380 & 420FSB

I'm kinda of lucky because I have a 12x Multi on my Pentium Chip so less FSB is needed to achieve maximum overclock. at the moment i'm 266.6FSB x 12 which = 3.2GHz

Try this config 375FSB x 8 and up your vcore to 1.4+V

There is no way the FSB on his chip will go that high. 333 is 3.0Ghz for me and I'm on a E2160.

An E2140 has a lower multiplyer than an E2160, so don't tell him to put the FSB up to 375, because that is way too high.

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by halifax1
View Post

You could BSEL mod the chip. And then see where you're at. BSEL modding it should bring it to 2.2Ghz, and then you can just up the FSB up a little more.

I did that on another board and got it to 2.6Ghz with no voltage increase and it was perfectly stable.

I have read up on BSEL, I really don't want to risk damaging my cpu, and it really isn't worth it imo since this isn't my main computer

I just want to see where I can get it to with little effort

Quote:

View Post

There is no way the FSB on his chip will go that high. 333 is 3.0Ghz for me and I'm on a E2160.

An E2140 has a lower multiplyer than an E2160, so don't tell him to put the FSB up to 375, because that is way too high.

Yeah, the reviews I read (I totally forget where) said the highest they got the E2140 was 2.9ghz, so thats actually what I am aiming for.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Quote:

View Post

for him to achieve 3.0Ghz he need to increase his FSB to 375 because his multi is only 8

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redmist
View Post

Yeah, the reviews I read (I totally forget where) said the highest they got the E2140 was 2.9ghz, so thats actually what I am aiming for.

Ok aim for 362 or 363 x 8 that will give you 2.9GHz

·
Premium Member
4,420 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redmist
View Post

Okay, in that case I'll just raise it little by little and stop where its good

Yep, bump the fsb up until it's not stable, then raise the vcore a little.

·
Premium Member
7,017 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SickStew
View Post

Your 630i Chipset should be ok at 360+ FSB

Please don't triple post. Just edit your post.

OP if you decide to raise the vcore up to 1.4v. Try to lower it down once you reach the desired overclock. Not sure if the stock cooler will be able to dissipate so much heat.

·
Banned
8,950 Posts
My bad, you're correct. The FSB needs to be around 375 or a little lower to be at 3.0Ghz.

Just raise the vcore up to around 1.425 and you should be stable.

Also, there is almost no way you can damage your CPU. Just use a Conductive Pen, and it rubs off with alcohol. If you connect the wrong pin it just won't boot. Then just rub it off and do it again.

There's really no reason not to do it if you happen to hit a FSB wall.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts