Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, im looking into upgrading my CPU, as i believe thats near my last option before getting a whole new computer.

Currently i have:

Intel pentium Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20 GHZ 1mb Cache, 800Mhz
4gb Ram
GTX 460 Graphics

I'm getting pretty bad FPS in games, and dont know what else to do.
Ive upgraded PSU aswell.

In saying this, would the:
Intel E6700 Dual Core 3.2GHz 2mb Cache, 1066Mhz

Be a half decent upgrade?
I'm not looking to spend too much money.

Any other suggestions would be great, looking at <$150

· Old school
14,606 Posts
Which motherboard do you have? If it allows overclocking then that is what you should do. That E2200 can easily run 3.2Ghz. Going from a dual core to a slightly faster dual core won't do much, the games would still depend on your GTX460 mostly. Either get a quad core or save up for a new motherboard, CPU and memory.

· Registered
2,190 Posts
Hey tim welcome to OCN...
To help u even more plz fill your system specs here: http://www.overclock.net/specs.php?do=addsystem
Also if u can find a new e5xxx series that might be cheaper to get and have same specs these days. I have similar spec-ed pc as u can see in my sig. Games are good but we are loosing alot of performance here and there compared to other systems.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If anyone could suggest my best option that would be awesome.

Should i just buy a new motherboard that will able me to overclock my cpu?
Quad core?

Every other component i have is half decent, so i should be getting better frames than i am.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So ive decided to go with this:

4gb Ram
GTX 460 Graphics

Intel pentium Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20 GHZ 1mb Cache, 800Mhz
TO
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 GHZ 8mb Cache, 1066Mhz
And thinking of upgrading to 64bit windows to get the most out of my 4gig ram.

Do yous think this will help a little in gaming performance?

· Premium Member
8,695 Posts
an E6700 would actually be a good bit faster than the E2200, because an E6700 is a Core 2 Duo and an E2200 is a Pentium Dual Core, not to mention the cache size of an E6700 is 4MB vs 1MB on the E2200......download and install CPU-Z and look at the motherboard and tell us what it is......and if your board supports a 1066FSB quad core then definitely get it, if it isn't too expensive

· Registered
179 Posts
Well mate I have a E6750 4gb of ram and a old 9600 video card and I can play 90% of the latest games with medium graphics settings.

With your video card I can confidently say you would be fine. Don't expect to max out all the settings though.

Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.