Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Was wondering if anybody knows what "actual" model these CPUs are because 2690v3's are 12-core 24-thread. This shows up as 8-core/16-thread in:

CPU-Z
Task Manager

but it shows up as 14-core 28-thread in:

BIOS

HWinfo64

In BIOS it shows i can choose to use 14-cores, i tried manually entering use 14 cores and no problems but it still shows up as 8-core in windows

I'm assuming they are 14-core CPUs and intel disabled 6-cores on each CPU to make them 8-core... Does anybody know how to unlock the extra cores or if some of these programs are reporting wrong information.

I assume BIOS should know best

As you can see this is using a recent BIOS version on a ASUS Z10PE-D16 WS motherboard

Thanks if anybody knows

·
Ultra wide wide wide.....
5,277 Posts
ES chips don't have the best track record for compatibility or recognizability. Go into BIOS and see how many cores you can enable/disable, or run a Cinebench see how many threads get the render done.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it has the option to use 14-cores in BIOS which i set manually (instead of 0 for maximum cores) but it still shows 8-cores in task manager and CPU-Z and rendering is 8-cores in Cinebench

·
*cough*Stock*cough*
3,103 Posts
Go into msconfig>Boot>Advanced Options>Uncheck "Number of Processors", then hit OK, then Apply. Reboot, and it should in theory allow access to all cores.

The other applications see the other cores, they're just not being used by windows, which leads me to believe its an issue with windows. If you can, load a linux live image up onto a flash drive and boot into it and see what happens in terms of core/thread count.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the suggestion but its currently not selected as a cpumax in boot, also tried a linuxmint liveboot, showed 32 threads total 2 x (8c/16t)

it's Windows 10 Education Edition 64-bit

Also tried disabling hyper-threading, showed 8c/8t per CPU

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemirunner426 View Post

Certain editions of windows have a core count limitation. That's probably want you're seeing. You need Pro or better to see all cores.
+1
You need enterprise/pro edition of windows to see more than 8 cores.

·
*cough*Stock*cough*
3,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by L36 View Post

+1
You need enterprise/pro edition of windows to see more than 8 cores.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemirunner426 View Post

Certain editions of windows have a core count limitation. That's probably want you're seeing. You need Pro or better to see all cores.
Except he said that in linux he also saw the core counts capped to 2x 8c/16t.

I dont get it, windows applications see the extra cores and threads, they just cant use them.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah thats what im seeing, Im guessing Intel disabled the extra cores from being used. I looked up windows 10 education and the 64-bit version is meant to handle up to 256 cores

but linux mint is also a "desktop" OS but i think all linux versions support atleast 2 CPUs with unlimited cores

·
*cough*Stock*cough*
3,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCTDBADBRO View Post

Yeah thats what im seeing, Im guessing Intel disabled the extra cores from being used. I looked up windows 10 education and the 64-bit version is meant to handle up to 256 cores

but linux mint is also a "desktop" OS but i think all linux versions support atleast 2 CPUs with unlimited cores
I dont see how though. If intel did not want to allow access to the cores >8 on the die, they would have lasered them off instead of whatever the hell's been done to let them be seen but not used.

Have you tried a different board?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrious View Post

I dont see how though. If intel did not want to allow access to the cores >8 on the die, they would have lasered them off instead of whatever the hell's been done to let them be seen but not used.

Have you tried a different board?
Did you ever figure out this issue? I found a used version of this chip that I thinking to pick up. It would be interesting to know if you had a specific issue, or it is more common, but info is scarce.

Thanks!
rolleyes.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts