Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am 5 minutes new to this forum and 16 hours new to overclocking. I have a E5200 D-Core Wolfdale and P5G41T-M LX mobo and DDR3-1333. I have tried overclocking my CPU though its overclocked to 3.13Ghz still the FSB
RAM ratio is 1:2 in CPU-Z. I dnt knw how to get them to 1:1. My BIOS also does not show any option for it and when I get my CPU frequency to 333 FSB. It shows overclocking failed or overclocking voltage failed. Plz help me with this issue. I hv no idea on DRAM timings and Vcore voltages.

1)How to get stable DRAM timings for DDR3 and editing VCore voltages.
2) How to use all 1333 FSB of my RAM?
3) M nt clear on FSB vs. MHz.
4) At what extent my processor will be stable without an external heat sink or fan?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanx.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I heard 1:1 is stable thats why...

But my processor frequency is nt going to 333, why is this so? Is my 1333FSB RAM is utilized fully?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, I'm also using P5G41T-M-LX board, with E5700.

I can't set the FSB more than 300 MHz, though I'm using DDR3 1333 Kingston RAM. It's not stable at 305 MHz FSB, and can't boot up at all when I set more than 305 MHz.

The FSB : RAM ratio is also 1 : 2. So at current rated FSB (1200 MHz), the RAM frequency is only 600 MHz.

I think the problem comes from the mobo or probably the RAM specs (don't know which one is the problem). The specs said 1333 (OC) MHz DDR3 frequency.

I suggest to set the FSB to 266 MHz so that the rated FSB is 1066 MHz. So at CPU multiplier of 15, we can get 4 GHz of CPU frequency (in your case it will be 12.5 x 266 = 3.325 GHz). Means that we will only overclock the CPU, not the RAM or the board.

I'd be happy if I can find bios settings to set the FSB to 333, haha

·
Registered
14 Posts
It seems that I can get hang of the mobo now. I'm using a 460W PSU, so tweaking the voltage is a little bit tricky in overclocking the system (currently using E5700 + P5G41T-M-LX).

The notes below is the one that happen in my system, I don't know if this is also applicable to your system.

#1. Overclocking the FSB
In my system, it seems that the FSB is limited by the memory voltage. The DRAM frequency is tuned appropriately to the FSB frequency (4x of the FSB frequency). Right up to FSB 266 MHz (which the RAM frequency is 1066 MHz), I can still use the stock memory voltage (1.5V -> edit by me, it should be 1.54V). To increase the FSB more than 266 MHz, I have to increase the memory voltage. Currently I set the memory voltage to 1.6V with 280 MHz of FSB.

In my case, increasing the NB and VTT voltage DOES NOT improve the FSB overclocking. I don't have a hard prove if these things is the mobo's characteristics, or it is because my PSU is not good enough to supply the voltage to the mobo.

So, if in your system, if the NB and VTT voltage does not improve the FSB overclocking, just leave the voltage setting while the number are in blue coloured line. Don't strain it until it has yellow coloured line. This will save the PSU power to tweak the CPU Vcore voltage.

If you're using high performance RAM, you can try to increase the memory voltage to more than 1.6V. Though I don't know the maximum voltage allowed for the RAM, I have proven it, that by increasing the memory voltage to 1.78, I can reach 300 MHz of FSB. I'm currently using value RAM, this might also the case why I need such high voltage for such relatively low FSB.

#2. Overclocking the CPU
When you done overclocking the FSB, you can start to increase the CPU multiplier, followed by increasing the CPU Vcore. Increase the CPU Vcore until your system is stable. You can test your system stability by using prime95.

When I was overclocking the FSB, I leave the CPU multiplier at a number such that the FSB speed x CPU multiplier is still below the CPU stock speed. This is done to eliminate the CPU problem interference when you overclock the FSB.

Does anyone know about the P5G41T mobo? why does the NB and VTT voltage are not improving the FSB overclocking? is it due to low quality PSU?

·
Registered
14 Posts
hi newbierock, sorry for the very late reply
The BIOS setup are attached in this reply. with the setup, I oc-ed my E5700 to 3.75 GHz.

Lately I realized that the memory timings stay the same (6-6-6-15) when I overclock the FSB (I leave the memory timings setup to SPD). So from memory speed of 800 MHz to 1066 MHz, the timings stay the same. I wonder if this is the reason why I need to increase the memory voltage up to 1.54V (stock voltage is 1.5V). And this is also the reason why the NB and VTT voltage do not help the FSB overclocking at all.

If I can lessen the timings, probably I can go to higher FSB with the same memory voltage. The problem is, I cannot set the memory timings properly, Tried to set it according to its JEDEC spec but didn't work. The Kingston spec is actually at 9-9-9, but the SPD read it as 6-6-6. I don't know what's the problem.

For example, I have to set the memory voltage to 1.68V to get the FSB speed to 290 MHz (1160 MHz memory speed). If I set the voltage lower than that, it couldn't run prime95 properly or even worse couldn't boot up at all.

·
Registered
507 Posts
i usually unlink the ram, so it stays at stock speed and does not interfere with the cpu overclock.
the ram timings i leave on auto, unless you know what you are doing.
on those pics, your ram is underclocked, (1067mhz) you should not have to increase ram voltage unless you are overclocking the ram.

you have the ram linked as 1067 / 4= 266 which is your fsb.
but you should have no difficulty reaching 333mhz, so
try dropping the multi to x 11 and raising the cpu vcore a couple of notches and then raising the fsb to 300, so 300 x 11 = 3.3ghz
i am not familiar with your board or ddr3 ram, so i may be wrong.

i wouldn't worry about the ram being 1:1 with the fsb,
my cpu fsb is 425mhz, and yet my ram is at 550mhz (default is 400mhz) so my ratio is 5:6 afaik,
this is faster for me then 1:1

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'd be happy if my board allows me to change the FSB to RAM ratio. By default it is 1:4 and I cannot change it.

Probably the P5G41T-M-LX is not the board born for overclocking
biggrin.gif
. I wish I could get a board with P45 chipset, hehehe

·
Registered
14 Posts
@ j.col: my RAM is overclocked. The stock settings are 1333 MHz, 1.5V, 9-9-9-25. But now the configuration is 1067 MHz @ 1.54V, 6-6-6-15.

Absurdly, I cannot change the timings into the stock timings, the 6-6-6-15 timings are defined by SPD (auto timings). Don't know what's wrong.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, i have the same board and it was quite difficult to get a decent overclock with my celeron dual core. The biggest problem is that you cant get the latency of your dd3 memory higher than 6, but you can modify the rest of the timings of the memory. By changing them you will be able to get the memory and the processor frequencys higher.
For example, my timings are:
CL 6
RAS to CAS read: 8
Ras to CAS write 8
tRP: 8
tRAS: 18

With this timings i was at least able to boot at 3.84ghz (fbs didnt go higher than 300 after a few tries) and get a stable 3.5ghz.

Bye and sorry for my rusty english =P.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The problem is definitly the Ram timings! the SPD when left on auto always leaves the same timings! I have managed to change all the time settings apart from the first one (CL). Anyone have any ideas on this?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi guys. I have the same board and the same problem.
Let's Think... What happens when we use cpu with strap 1333? Board must use another memory multipiller to decrease memory freq because 1333mhz mem we can only got with overclocking (according to asus spec.)
I will do bsel [email protected] 333 on my e5200 tomorrow. Will see...

p.s. - sry for my bad eng.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts