Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
mine get to 3C apart, you have good temps, look at mine (attached)

those are idle temps :O

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Only thing I could possible think of is that the heatsink is either not totally flat with your Core 2 Duo's IHS or that the thermal paste is not spread to cover the IHS directly over both CPU cores, evenly.

Here are the locations of the two cores under the IHS.

·
Banned
10,581 Posts
I have to reseat my HSF as well, just waiting for AS5 to come in today. Thing is though i've heard different amounts need to be used. Anywhere from just a pea sized amount to a small thin line that would cover the two cores. Which is it?

·
Banned
10,581 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystikx

Would you recommend reseating?

I think your temps are A-Okay. The other post with the temps in the 50s...that's pretty bad. When my HSF was functioning correctly I had temps similiar to yours, with one core always a little bit higher than the other. I'm fairly certain this is the norm.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystikx
Why are both cores so different in temperaturs

There are probably progs in the background putting a little load on one core. If you run a single-thread game or highly intensive program, it will only load on one core and only warm one core up, the cpu chooses wich core will handle it. If you load two instances of the program, one will load on the other core.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElMikeTheMike
I think your temps are A-Okay. The other post with the temps in the 50s...that's pretty bad. When my HSF was functioning correctly I had temps similiar to yours, with one core always a little bit higher than the other. I'm fairly certain this is the norm.

I'm pretty sure he's right. I haven't really read anything about it, but on both my 6400 and 6600, core0 always has higher temps (by couple or few degrees) than core1 using TAT. I seem to recall seeing this on conroe screenshots from other people with TAT around here too.

I wouldn't worry about it, you're fine man. Lap it if you want to lol, I do that to all my cpu's and hsf's. But do it cause you want to, not because of this, it's nothing
. Maybe it's like Mister Crowley said, core0 is probably just "less idle" than the second core.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts