Discussion Starter #1
My System Specs are

Intel C2D E7400 2.8Ghz Stock Cooler..
Asus P5KPL AM/PS
2 GB RAM 800MHZ
GeForce 9400GT
VIP 460w Power supply.

How much will i reach with this specs?
I get 40C at Idle and 68C at load with ambient temp of arnd 25-30C @stock 2.8ghz..
Do i need a aftermarket cooler?if yes can anyone sugget one...
is 2gb ram enough?
and power supply should i go vx460w corsair?

thx...

·
Old to Overclock.net
4,088 Posts
Chage aftermarket coolers, a really cheap but awesome one would be the hyper 212+, it easily handles my q6600 C2Q so it would eat anything your C2D throws at it. Plus it's cheap, between 20~25 US dollars.

As for pushing it, it depends on your chip but I bet you could easily hit 3.8~4Ghz with it.

Just to give you some numbers:

q6600 @ idle 30C (23C ambient)
q6600 @ load 48C (23C ambient)

To answer your memory question, if you're running XP 32 bit yes it's fine but windows vista or 7 you need more than that.

The PSU your picking is fine and should suffice as well for your system.

Might I suggest a the new GTS 450 or at the least a GTS 250 for a vid card instead of the 9600GT.

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
O.K. Let's see if i can answer your question.

How high can you overclock a E 7400? Depending on the stepping they can reach 4Ghz.

Do you need a aftermarket cooler? Yes you do, Though the stockcooler can handle the thermal load on stock settings it is in no way suited for high overclocks.

Wich aircooler to get is a case of budget and personal taste, Good ones are the Cooler Master Hyper 212+, The Noctua DH12 or the Scynthe Mugen2.
Budget watercooling could be a option, The H50 packs some decent cooling capability.

Is 2 gb ram enough? Yes and no, It's enough for daily use but i prefer to have at least 4Gb. (you need a 64 bit OS to use all 4 Gb, 32 bit OS only sees 3.25 Gb)

That Corsair PSU is decent but there are better PSU's on the market for that price.
You might want to start a new thread for that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thx for the suggestions i also thought of hyper 212+...

so a aftermarket cooler,2gb ram is needed...

another question here is 2gb of same brand or any other would do?

power supply whats the alternative in same price range?or vx450 is good...

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
For overclocking sake you would be best of with 2x2 gb quality ram (mushkin, Ripjaws). Using 4 memory dimms would cause high load on your ihc and limit your overclocking.

The corsair psu is fine, like mentioned before it's best to start a seperate thread on wich psu to get. There are people on this forum that are better able to advise you. (Phaedrus for example)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi there!!

I'm still new here but one thing I did notice is that cooling makes a HUGE difference to performance. I would change the stock cooler out and get something else as these guys have mentioned
I have managed to get 4ghz out of my spec at 1.41 vcore with all other voltages locked at standard (not on auto) except for FB which is at 1.2 (me thinks). I have tested for several hours with prime and avg temp is 55C with peak at 63 under load. Have fun and remember small steps
one change then retest with prime. Also get a good CPU temp monitoring software like realtemp, the one that came with my MB was 10C off (lower). There is also an E7*** club you might look for more info there.

Cheers

Repins

1 - 6 of 6 Posts