FSB Strap to northbridge - Auto
DRAM Frequency - 1140
DRAM timing control - auto
5-5-5-15-3-52-6-3
8-3-5-4-6-4-6
14-5-1-6-6
CPU Voltage - 1.3
North Bridge and South Bridge Voltage - Auto

I WANT 4 Ghz!...Is it possible. My Cpu is at 19c at idle.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Yes, not only is it possible, its easy.
1) Put your CPU voltage to 1.4v in your bios (1.36ish after vdrop I find).
2) Put your northbridge voltage to 1.4v
3) Raise your fsb up to 445 and see if it boots. If it does, run orthos overnight. If it doesnt, post back here and i'll see what I can do to get you stable.

·
Premium Member
4,533 Posts
didn't post? or wasn't stable?

try bumping up your fsb to 400 first, with a 9x multi.

what is your vcore at stock?

also ad a .1+ to your northbridge, and loosen up your ramming timings a bit.

·
Registered
643 Posts
yeah try to keep your RAM at 1066mhz for now. Also what exact RAM sticks do you have and what are their timings?

note: download cpuz and figure out what revision/stepping you have and also use realtemp/coretemp to figure out your VID. That will help a little.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Not all E8400's can easily crack 4.0GHz. Mine won't go higher than 3.825 at 1.4v in BIOS (1.36v after vdrop). Right now mine is at 3.6GHz with 1.3125v in BIOS, and +0.1v on both the northbridge and FSB (these voltage settings may look different in your BIOS).

That aside, 3.6GHz is a good starting point with 400x9. And people are going to tell you otherwise, but I only run orthos for about 10 minutes on small FFTs, if it fails in only 10 minutes, then I up the voltage 2 notches and test again. Most of the time my orthos fails, it fails in the first 3 minutes. Once I feel I'm at a stable point, I run it for a good 2-3 hours and I'm satisfied. 10 hours is overkill, I mean when are you going to run your PC at full load for 10 hours in the real world?

Now if you fold, thats another story entirely and would suggest a longer stress test to be extra safe (although judging from temps, small FFTs heat up waaay more than folding even though they both use 100% CPU).

·
Registered
442 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacko87 View Post
Not all E8400's can easily crack 4.0GHz. Mine won't go higher than 3.825 at 1.4v in BIOS (1.36v after vdrop). Right now mine is at 3.6GHz with 1.3125v in BIOS, and +0.1v on both the northbridge and FSB (these voltage settings may look different in your BIOS).

That aside, 3.6GHz is a good starting point with 400x9. And people are going to tell you otherwise, but I only run orthos for about 10 minutes on small FFTs, if it fails in only 10 minutes, then I up the voltage 2 notches and test again. Most of the time my orthos fails, it fails in the first 3 minutes. Once I feel I'm at a stable point, I run it for a good 2-3 hours and I'm satisfied. 10 hours is overkill, I mean when are you going to run your PC at full load for 10 hours in the real world?

Now if you fold, thats another story entirely and would suggest a longer stress test to be extra safe (although judging from temps, small FFTs heat up waaay more than folding even though they both use 100% CPU).
That stinks. I can run mine stable 4.2 at 1.36 vcore. Gotta love the E0 stepping.

·
Banned
2,821 Posts
So youre just gonna JUMP from 3gHz to 4gHz? I wish my rig could work that way..... Do it gradually. You learn more and you understand the components better. Read stickys.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.