Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to go higher, why? oh..idk. Just cause I guess, plus im playing more with VMware and stuff for school. So if I could give it a little extra 'pep' why not.

Now, the only thing thats changed since, is my stability is kinda wishy-washy. I tried to run a 100pass Linx test tonight while at school. It failed at 14attempts 53mins in. Max temp it reached was 64*c. Note: My ambient are temp in this room is 30*c. It idles at 35-37*c. And under light to moderate load goes up to about 45-50*c. Unless its a heavy heavy load probally doesnt get near 60*c.

Soo....I'm asking for some help, words of advise to get to 4.2Ghz+ STABLE.

Ski

Link to old OC thread: http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/...much-more.html

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,923 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebelord
View Post

I would like to go higher, why? oh..idk. Just cause I guess, plus im playing more with VMware and stuff for school. So if I could give it a little extra 'pep' why not.

Now, the only thing thats changed since, is my stability is kinda wishy-washy. I tried to run a 100pass Linx test tonight while at school. It failed at 14attempts 53mins in. Max temp it reached was 64*c. Note: My ambient are temp in this room is 30*c. It idles at 35-37*c. And under light to moderate load goes up to about 45-50*c. Unless its a heavy heavy load probally doesnt get near 60*c.

Soo....I'm asking for some help, words of advise to get to 4.2Ghz+ STABLE.

Ski

Link to old OC thread: http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/...much-more.html

14 runs in 53 minutes tells me one thing: the Problem Size is way too low (or, you can say that the amount of memory used is too low). With using the highest Problem Size possible, 14 runs should take around an hour and 20 minutes.

It's my guess that the highest problem size you will be able to use might be roughly somewhere between 20902 (3350 MB of memory) to 20980 (3375 MB of memory). If you're really handy with tweaking Windows, then you might be able to get a little more, but it may only be 10-20 more MB and it's not worth it.

The key is to reduce Windows to the Classic Theme, disable the Desktop Slide Show if it's being used, disable the screensaver, disable everything that would run automatically while the test is running, close all Gadgets, and only have LinX, Real Temp and CPU-Z open (and absolutely nothing else). This will allow you to get the absolute-most out of the test!! After all, how can the system focus 100% of its "attention" on the test if the computer is doing other things, thereby stealing those clock cycles?

But on top of that, only run the test after a fresh restart of Windows. Don't open anything else first before opening LinX, Real Temp and CPU-Z, and don't open anything while the test is running. Testing like this gives you the truest depiction of your system's stability, even while Prime testing. You may even want to make a custom theme for stress testing and name it "Stress Testing".

Anyway, I love your pursuit of performance!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts