Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sammytheman
View Post

Hi guys I just bought an e8400 and was wondering if it is compatible with my mobo.Thanx

Just update the BIOS and you wont have any problems.

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Yes, you only need a bios update.

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Actually, some of the highest FSB OCs on the wolfdales came from the P965 chipset. The ASUS Commando was pushing past 600FSB!
Wolfdale, 965 chipset and FSB...

Here is an OCN thread:
Don't throw away your p965 mobo! Wolfdale loves 'em!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterKromm
View Post

Yeah you heard it here... p965 + e8xxx = WIN!

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ight=965+e8400

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ighlight=e8400

Worth noting is that different revisions within the P965 chipset will offer varying performance...

Those looking to upgrade to 45nm dualies, but couldn't afford/rationalize the purchase of a new mobo as well need not worry

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sammytheman
View Post

How do I do that fellas? Sorry to be a NOOB ;(

Download the bios from the Asus website, then put it on a formatted USB thumbdrive. Boot your pc, go into the bios and select EzFlash. The bios will recognize the thumbdrive and the bios as drive C or D and then you can flash it.

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by whe3ls View Post
you could flash inside of windows
I would strongly recommend flashing in DOS. Borrow a USB drive from someone if you can!

That way you can create a Bootable USB and flash the bios:

1. First download the USB Boot drive creator "HPUSBFW"
2. Then download the boot files and extract them to a folder of your choice

3. Run the HPUSBFW program.

Select the correct USB device from the drop-down menu, set file system to FAT32 and check Create a DOS startup disk.

4. Then browse for the extracted boot files (now in the folder of your choice) and press start to begin formating it.

5. Once the device is done, Copy the AFUDOS and the ASUS bios to the USB drive, but rename it to new.rom for ease of flashing (you will not see the boot files on it).

6. You will then restart and go into bios to load default bios options. Then set the ram voltage and reboot (plug in the USB drive into the back USB port at this time). Then, while the PC is booting up, press F8 to enter the boot option. Select the USB drive.

7. At the C: type afudos /inew.rom /pbnc /n

8. The bios will then begin flashing. Dont do anything until the bios is finished flashing and you are instructed to reboot.

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
USB thumbdrives are really cheap, and if you don't have a diskette drive it's nice to have one. And as I said on page 1, the EzFlash method is by far the easiest and safest.

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericeod View Post

5. Once the device is done, Copy the AFUDOS and the P5N-E-SLI bios to the USB drive, but rename it to new.rom for ease of flashing (you will not see the boot files on it).

QUOTE]

Now I have Asus p5B-deluxe wifi mind you. What should I do in this case? Thanks.
Sorry, I fixed the post. it is the same procedures.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"4. Then browse for the extracted boot files (now in the folder of your choice) and press start to begin formating it."

When I extract "boot files" to a folder(samfolder) there are many files inside it such as bin, command, bootsect, etc. Which file do I browse for?

5. Once the device is done, Copy the AFUDOS and the ASUS bios to the USB drive, but rename it to new.rom for ease of flashing (you will not see the boot files on it)."

Rename AFUDOS or the ASUS BIOS software that I downloaded?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoma_Andy View Post
USB thumbdrives are really cheap, and if you don't have a diskette drive it's nice to have one. And as I said on page 1, the EzFlash method is by far the easiest and safest.
OK I tried your method but when I start Ez flash I don't see my USB drive. All I see is a:, b:, and c:

Am I missing something here?

·
Premium Member
4,380 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sammytheman View Post
OK I tried your method but when I start Ez flash I don't see my USB drive. All I see is a:, b:, and c:

Am I missing something here?
Tab your way to a: and push enter, Tab your way to b: and push enter and so forth. You are right it is hard to find, I found it by trying different things like that.

Edit: If your BIOS is 1216 you shouldn't even have to flash your BIOS. I had an E8400 C0 stepping with a P5B deluxe WiFi. If you have an E0 stepping you need the new BIOS.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No man my BIOS is old, never flashed since I bought it, and this time I checked thoroughly and I could not find my USB in Ez Flash, a, b or c. Why do they make it so f*kin difficult

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
admin you can close this thread. It was my ****in USB stick. Got a brand name and VOILA!!!!!!!!!!! Thans x2s3w4

1 - 20 of 20 Posts