Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi People,

Just a quick one, any suggestions for a good h/s fan for an E8400 so I can overclock this as Im bored of my speeds now. Not sure whether to get an H70 waterkit or just get a good h/s fan, any help appreciated .

Cheers
 

·
Old school
Joined
·
14,411 Posts
A few good aircoolers are the Thermalright Venomous-X, Prolimatech Megahalem and the Noctua NH-D14.
 

·
Old school
Joined
·
14,411 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by TFL Replica
View Post

Very overkill and expensive for an E8400. Those would be suitable for a hot overclocked i7. (Which is why I also asked for budget)

The E8400 can also get quite hot when overclocked to 4.0Ghz and beyond. Besides, if he has the budget for a H70, why not. Plus you can always use a good cooler for the next build.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
15,093 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Acoma_Andy
View Post

The E8400 can also get quite hot when overclocked to 4.0Ghz and beyond. Besides, if he has the budget for a H70, why not. Plus you can always use a good cooler for the next build.

That would be the only reason to get something pricier. With sandy bridge and bulldozer drawing near I wouldn't count too much on reusing an existing cooler anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi people sorry at work at the minute, yeah should be doing stuff but I prefer to look at forums and price new bits up for my pc


Well got about 100 quid spare to spend, if I was to get a H/S also a little worried about weight pulling down the the board if that makes sense. Thanks for the info thus far though
. But 100 quid is maximum I can spend really, would prefer to have a little change from that though
 

·
Old school
Joined
·
14,411 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by TFL Replica
View Post

That would be the only reason to get something pricier. With sandy bridge and bulldozer drawing near I wouldn't count too much on reusing an existing cooler anyway.

Well Bulldozer should be compatible with AM3 coolers and socket 1156 coolers fit on socket 1155 coolers. Same goes for socket 1366 and 2011.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
15,093 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by 1greeny1
View Post

Hi people sorry at work at the minute, yeah should be doing stuff but I prefer to look at forums and price new bits up for my pc


Well got about 100 quid spare to spend, if I was to get a H/S also a little worried about weight pulling down the the board if that makes sense. Thanks for the info thus far though
. But 100 quid is maximum I can spend really, would prefer to have a little change from that though


In that case have a look at the Noctua NH-D14 for air. H70 if you're hell bent on it.

Quote:


Originally Posted by Acoma_Andy
View Post

Well Bulldozer should be compatible with AM3 coolers and socket 1156 coolers fit on socket 1155 coolers. Same goes for socket 1366 and 2011.

Are you 100% sure about all that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cool ok will have a look at the noctua, should be ok with the size as just got a new case, might have to lose a fan from the side window but will be able to find it a new home somewhere in there
, wuoldnt mind getting the H70, have been meaning to water cool a while I am still after all these years though still not convinced about having water inside my pc, I know the chances are very slim but there is always the chance, and the noise of the fans doesnt bother me really, have my 5770 running at 70% fan whenever I turn a game on, sounds like it is going to take off but I dont care as long as it keeps cool
, So would the noctua be the best bet then. Thanks guys for the help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmm I just put a reply on here, said it was done then hasnt posted it, cant remember what I put now, so is the noctua best bet for air cooling, still sceptical about putting water inside my pc, so not overly fussed about that, also not fussed about how noisy the pc is with all the fans in it, if they are too loud I turn my stereo up or put my headphones on


Have my 5770 running at 70% when gaming and that really does sound like its going to take off so noise isnt a problem. would I have any problems with this being near the graphics slot on my mobo do you know?

Cheers
 

·
Old school
Joined
·
14,411 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by TFL Replica
View Post

Are you 100% sure about all that?

About the Intels, I read it in an article about Sandy Bridge. About AMD, not 100% sure but it would make sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is sandy bridge the CPU/GPU they are bringin out? also it did post that I was being stupid and didnt look at page 2,
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,040 Posts
Take the noctura, best all round cooler. You also would be fine with the h50/h70 but you sound a bit nervous about water so don't worry about them, they will have slightly worse performance anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
alright fair enough, yeah I know its very unlikey but still not sure about water + electrical equipment, I know this is quite a big piece of kit, so will just have to order one and see what the space is like, also while we are on the subject is there a good cooler for the xfx xxx 5770 or should I just stick with the stock fan, think on full load the temps only get to about 50 degrees, dont need one right now but wondered because cant seem to find one anywhere.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,040 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by 1greeny1
View Post

alright fair enough, yeah I know its very unlikey but still not sure about water + electrical equipment, I know this is quite a big piece of kit, so will just have to order one and see what the space is like, also while we are on the subject is there a good cooler for the xfx xxx 5770 or should I just stick with the stock fan, think on full load the temps only get to about 50 degrees, dont need one right now but wondered because cant seem to find one anywhere.

Awesome, it should fit, just no fans on the door


Most coolers for gpu's are pretty universal, just look for one that's comparable if you want it, I don't see the need though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nice one I will get one ordered, will just have to find a new home for the side case fans, which shouldnt be a problem really got fair bit of room for fans. thanks for the help and info guys
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,040 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by 1greeny1
View Post

nice one I will get one ordered, will just have to find a new home for the side case fans, which shouldnt be a problem really got fair bit of room for fans. thanks for the help and info guys


Put it down as an intake down the bottom, and one up the top if it isnt full yet
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
got my power supply on the bottom but I think there is room for two fans at the top of the case, so that would be ok, just have one left left to stick somewhere, if worst comes to worst ill just stick it on top of another fan and leave it there,lol at the minute my pc is basically just one big fan. keeps it cool though
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top