Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having trouble with my old cooler .. an arctic freezer pro 7 (rev 1), well actually i figured out when my pc was really slow and laggy i checked the temperature and it was at 70! not even overclocked.. so i cleaned the hole computer removed all the dust changed the cooler back to the stock one and cleaned very well the cpu and heatsink.. and remounted without paste since i dont have.. but now i open realtemp and its reading temps 80 - 90 C and i even loaded default bios settings for power savings but still im seeing these temps , just that the pc isnt lagging or slow now .. but i thought that temps over 70 for this cpu was very dangerous/damaging and it would explode or something .. i even stick my hand inside the case and it didnt even feel like its around 90 C please tell me what can i do????

look at 2.00ghz:
pwpjo.png

when i multitask and cpu is a 2.99ghz temps rise to 80s and even 90s

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghooble View Post

That's why. And yet those temps are very bad.
I second this, the paste is what gives us the good temps!
thumb.gif

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is the paste that much of a difference? i mean i had paste with the arctic 7 and temps were around 70!
can it be that the cpu is permanently damaged? would an thermal paste fix this? ive never seen temps this high even without the paste!

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Without thermal paste there is not sufficient heat transfer between the CPU's IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader) and the CPU cooler. In fact, when you unmount a heatsink,you must reapply thermal paste. Old thermal paste still on the heatsink and IHS can disrupt the heat transfer because of air pockets and inpurities you can get in the old paste.

Basically the rule is, remount always requires new thermal paste (and thorough cleaning of both surfaces) and you must always use thermal paste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by antmiu2 View Post

is the paste that much of a difference? i mean i had paste with the arctic 7 and temps were around 70!
can it be that the cpu is permanently damaged? would an thermal paste fix this? ive never seen temps this high even without the paste!
As for your heat issues, slight movement of the heatsink can cause uneven distribution of pressure between the IHS and heatsink which will cause heat buildup. My advice is, don't use the PC until you get thermal paste and put the arctic Freezer Pro back on.

edit: Here is some basic info on thermal paste:
http://www.techpowerup.com/printarticle.php?id=134

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericeod View Post

Without thermal paste there is not sufficient heat transfer between the CPU's IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader) and the CPU cooler. In fact, when you unmount a heatsink,you must reapply thermal paste. Old thermal paste still on the heatsink and IHS can disrupt the heat transfer because of air pockets and inpurities you can get in the old paste.
Basically the rule is, remount always requires new thermal paste (and thorough cleaning of both surfaces) and you must always use thermal paste.
As for your heat issues, slight movement of the heatsink can cause uneven distribution of pressure between the IHS and heatsink which will cause heat buildup. My advice is, don't use the PC until you get thermal paste and put the arctic Freezer Pro back on.
well actually my arctic freezer pro 7 is busted! so should i save money and get a new cooler and use the default paste that comes with it or buy thermal paste for the stock cooler because the truth is i have money issues

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antmiu2 View Post

well actually my arctic freezer pro 7 is busted! so should i save money and get a new cooler and use the default paste that comes with it or buy thermal paste for the stock cooler because the truth is i have money issues
Thermal paste is less than $1.00 if you need some basic stuff. But running without thermal paste will ultimately damage your CPU. You can use your stock heatsink with some thermal paste for now.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_BIN=1&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_from=R40&_nkw=thermal%20grease&_sop=15

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Hyper 212+ comes with thermal paste.. You should have just gotten that to be honest.
Oh well you have extra thermal paste now!
thumb.gif

1 - 13 of 13 Posts