Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought the c2d e8400 chip and the temp sensors were bad. so i am going to RMA it. the sales rep i spoke to says i can order the same chip and they will just refund the original money back to my cc. she also told me if i wanted to i could buy a more expensive cpu and me pay the difference. should i just get the e8400 or go ahead with a quad(which one?). i do a few things on my rig but it's main focus is world of warcraft. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kegger
View Post

i bought the c2d e8400 chip and the temp sensors were bad. so i am going to RMA it. the sales rep i spoke to says i can order the same chip and they will just refund the original money back to my cc. she also told me if i wanted to i could buy a more expensive cpu and me pay the difference. should i just get the e8400 or go ahead with a quad(which one?). i do a few things on my rig but it's main focus is world of warcraft. what do you guys think?

sorta off topic, but was this call with intel?

Also, it depends on what you do as stated above

·
Not New to Overclock.net
9,204 Posts
well if you will pay low for a Q9550.. it will really be a good step up... but the E8400 is on of the finest CPUs out there. i just mean do the math, if the Q9550 will be cheaper than retail, cease the chance as it's a very good cpu.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the 9550 would cost about 60 bucks more. and i'm runnin on stock cooling. i would have to get a better cooler with the quad right? so if thats the case it would cost about 100 bucks or so. i'll probably stick with the dual core

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts
I am confused about this RMA...I don't think I have owned an Intel chip that didn't have sticky/stuck sensors..

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Well seeing as you only game and surf the internet it seems pretty pointless buying a quad. Unless you really have some money burning in your pocket.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ACHILEE5
View Post

Hello mate

I just went from [email protected] to [email protected] and I'm well happy!
I would have gone for the Q9550, but i wanted an easy 4GHz.
So if you can do it, i say get a Q9550 or Q9650!

Since i changed, all the games i have tried run better with this [email protected] compared to my [email protected]

But if the choice was E8400 or Q6600, i would have the E8400 as it OCs higher

And I went from an easy 4Ghz E8400 to an easy 4Ghz Q9550. As long as you have decent supporting hardware like a good cooler and motherboard, the E8500 and Q9650 is just a waste of money unless you are water cooling them to a higher OC like 4.5Ghz.

·
Premium Member
9,511 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerTrip
View Post

And I went from an easy 4Ghz E8400 to an easy 4Ghz Q9550. As long as you have decent supporting hardware like a good cooler and motherboard, the E8500 and Q9650 is just a waste of money unless you are water cooling them to a higher OC like 4.5Ghz.

Well I'm not sure how that helps OP

And i did say the Q9550 would be good

Now if i was saying OP should get the QX9650, perhaps i would deserve someone to have a pop at me.
But i didn't

1 - 20 of 28 Posts