Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
OG
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my buddy recently bought a computer, and I really hated his choice of places to buy the parts, he bought them in China, so I don't even know if the parts are legit from Intel and Nvidia and Asus... ANYWHO on his 8400 his processor is some how locked at 2.4GHz, and I can't raise it on his motherboard, I know the motherboard he has, I had it in an old computer before the computer got fire damage, so I know that it can and will overclock. His 8400 is stuck at 2.4GHz on my motherboard also, I tried it I can't seem to get it past 2.4GHz with an insane amount of trying, it runs really damn hot and like none of the things you'd expect for a 45nm @ 2.4GHz. It idles at 60*c I've put it under my buddys phase change and it was at -30*c... I'm truly stumped.

Any ideas? Maybe it's a faked 8400? Maybe he just got a ****ty one?

·
OG
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Indeed, but I can't figure out what it is... It's really bugging me for the last little while, so I decided to get some help from people that most likely know more then me.

·
Banned
2,821 Posts
Well, they should overclock 20% fairly easy so something is wrong allright. My E8200 did 3.0ghz(stock 2.66ghz) like a charm. And I`m a NOOB!

·
OG
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkey92 View Post
I doubt a legit from Intel processor would be 600mhz under stock.... Probably a fake...or a Q6600! W00T! lawl
It's deffinatly not a quad, I did some benching with it and it looks to be an 8400 but.... it can't be can it?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Are you sure its not just speed stepping? Take some pics of the relavent BIOS setups regarding FSB / multiplier etc.

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Technophobe
View Post

Are you sure its not just speed stepping? Take some pics of the relavent BIOS setups regarding FSB / multiplier etc.

If it was running in SpeedStep mode it would be running at 2.0GHz. SpeedStep always lowers the muli to 6x. So 333 FSB x 6 multi = 2.0GHz

·
OG
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericeod
View Post

If it was running in SpeedStep mode it would be running at 2.0GHz. SpeedStep always lowers the muli to 6x. So 333 FSB x 6 multi = 2.0GHz

It's 2.4GHz trust me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by justarealguy
View Post

It could be an E6600, that runs at stock 2.4GHz.

Maybe, but it says in CPUz, and all that other bull**** that it's an E8400..

·
Registered
493 Posts
If its going slower than stock, why not call up Intel?

·
OG
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I should...

They aren't open anymore, Damn

·
OG
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It says 333 x 9

1 - 16 of 16 Posts