Overclock.net banner

e8400 stock voltages and no OC, too hot?

891 Views 25 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  TwoCables
Hi guys.. I have an e8400, no OC.

Artic Freezer 7 Pro HSF

Idle temps are about 49C and full load or when gaming about 72C

My CPU is C0 stepping. Maybe the sensors are bad..

I applied the arctic silver just fine (not the first cpu I installed) and heatsink is mounted correctly.

Is my stepping just bad or is something wrong? When gaming or running Prime95, I never get errors or crashes.

Here are some screenshots of Realtemp and a prime95 test. As you can see.. temps went up to 77C.

Are the Tjmax distances OK?

Thanks guys
See less See more
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
sheesh, looks like your cpu mount is bad. I would re-do it if I were you and see if that fixes things.
  • Rep+
Reactions: 1
Quote:

Originally Posted by gabb20
View Post

Hi guys.. I have an e8400, no OC.

Artic Freezer 7 Pro HSF

Idle temps are about 49C and full load or when gaming about 72C

My CPU is C0 stepping. Maybe the sensors are bad..

I applied the arctic silver just fine (not the first cpu I installed) and heatsink is mounted correctly.

Is my stepping just bad or is something wrong? When gaming or running Prime95, I never get errors or crashes.

Here are some screenshots of Realtemp and a prime95 test. As you can see.. temps went up to 77C.

Are the Tjmax distances OK?

Thanks guys

What is the ambient temperature? Of course, this is the temperature of the air that is surrounding the case.

Also, I'd like to know what the rest of the specifications are, so please fill in your system specifications so that they automatically appear in your signature. Here is how to do that:
  1. Click on User CP on the black bar above.
  2. Click Edit System on the left.
  3. When you're finished, click Save Changes.
  4. It will now automatically appear in your signature for both future posts and posts that you have already made.
This will be a tremendous help for both you and for everyone who helps out.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

What is the ambient temperature? Of course, this is the temperature of the air that is surrounding the case.

Also, I'd like to know what the rest of the specifications are, so please fill in your system specifications so that they automatically appear in your signature. Here is how to do that:
  1. Click on User CP on the black bar above.
  2. Click Edit System on the left.
  3. When you're finished, click Save Changes.
  4. It will now automatically appear in your signature for both future posts and posts that you have already made.
This will be a tremendous help for both you and for everyone who helps out.

All done. That's as much as I remember really. I f you need anything else I can look into it.

Room temperature is about 32C now (summer over here)

I'm guessing it's a bad heatsink mount. I've been reading that the Arctic Freezer 7 is quite difficult to mount. Although when I try moving it I fill like it's in place. Maybe I should remount it.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by gabb20
View Post

All done. That's as much as I remember really. I f you need anything else I can look into it.

room temperature is about 32C now (summer over here)

32? Oh, no wonder. Damn. That's about 90°F!

Which case do you have?
See less See more
E8400 at stock speed with the AC7 Pro should give about 55 - 57c load temps in a hot room, so I'd say there's something wrong.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoma_Andy
View Post

E8400 at stock speed with the AC7 Pro should give about 55 - 57c load temps in a hot room, so I'd say there's something wrong.

That's why I'm asking about the case now.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

32? Oh, no wonder. Damn. That's about 90°F!

Which case do you have?

A generic Vitsuba ATX case. (the 8024 if you want to look it up). Comes four 80mm fans. 1 in front, 1 in back and 2 on the side panel.

Maybe my air flow isn't right. I have no idea which direction they blow or suck air.

Does this even matter?

Thanks

PS:uploading some pics of the case.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by gabb20 View Post
A generic Vitsuba ATX case. (the 8024 if you want to look it up). Comes four 80mm fans. 1 in front, 1 in back and 2 on the side panel.

Maybe my air flow isn't right. I have no idea which direction they blow or suck air.

Does this even matter?

Thanks
If you haven't turned any of the fans around since you got the case, then they should all be moving the air in generally the right direction.

So, I have 2 questions:
  • How would you rate the cable management in your case? Would you say that it's a big mess and is probably trapping a lot of air? Or would you say that the cables are out of the way and that the air should be flowing freely (and only hindered by that hardware, which is unavoidable)?
  • Where is your rig? Is it out in the open with plenty of room on all sides? Or, is it in a "deskhole"?
See less See more
I vote for trying to run your rig with the side off. And doing a remount/ take pics to make sure that you do it properly and use the right amount of paste.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
If you haven't turned any of the fans around since you got the case, then they should all be moving the air in generally the right direction.

So, I have 2 questions:
  • How would you rate the cable management in your case? Would you say that it's a big mess and is probably trapping a lot of air? Or would you say that the cables are out of the way and that the air should be flowing freely (and only hindered by that hardware, which is unavoidable)?
  • Where is your rig? Is it out in the open with plenty of room on all sides? Or, is it in a "deskhole"?
FYI this is not my actual case.

1. Cables, yeah, they are a mess. Something that I just realized is that my Nvidia 9800 card blocks most of the airflow coming from the bottom of the case.
2. No, it's on top of my desk with nothing surrounding it.

I'll try cleaning up the cables a bit and remount the heatsink.

Oh and I did change around the side fans and I'm not sure what direction they were when I got it. But not sure if this will make my cpu temps have a full 15c over normal temps.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by kow_ciller View Post
I vote for trying to run your rig with the side off. And doing a remount/ take pics to make sure that you do it properly and use the right amount of paste.
I'm going to remount now and take some pics.

What would be the right about of paste? I used a thin line of artic silver through the middle and then spread evenly with a plastic card.
See less See more
Quote:

FYI this is not my actual case.

1. Cables, yeah, they are a mess. Something that I just realized is that my Nvidia 9800 card blocks most of the airflow coming from the bottom of the case.
2. No, it's on top of my desk with nothing surrounding it.

I'll try cleaning up the cables a bit and remount the heatsink.

Oh and I did change around the side fans and I'm not sure what direction they were when I got it. But not sure if this will make my cpu temps have a full 15c over normal temps.
Ooo, it looks like you can hide the majority of the cables behind the motherboard tray (in between the side panel and the motherboard tray).

Also, just for reference: I can tell just from these pics that this person's 2 side panel fans are intake, and their rear fan is exhaust. This is due to which side I can see. Some people think that taking the side panel fan or fans and making them exhaust fans instead of intake help reduce temperatures. Others disagree, so experimentation is certainly necessary.
See less See more
Damn, there's something really wrong here.

I have C1E enabled, so idle temps are actually when the cpu is underclocked with a multiplier of x6.

So it's actually at 2ghz and 1.15v.

Full load goes back to (333fsb) x9 multiplier and 1.25v. Voltages on the cpu box said "Max 1.25v".
Quote:

I'm going to remount now and take some pics.

What would be the right about of paste? I used a thin line of artic silver through the middle and then spread evenly with a plastic card.
With those kind of sinks I do the dot in the middle and rotate the sink around a couple times to make sure it spreads out evenly.
See less See more
Quote:

Damn, there's something really wrong here.

I have C1E enabled, so idle temps are actually when the cpu is underclocked with a multiplier of x6.

So it's actually at 2ghz and 1.15v.

Full load goes back to (333fsb) x9 multiplier and 1.25v. Voltages on the cpu box said "Max 1.25v".
Then the heatsink may not be not tight enough against the CPU. Either that, or there could be too much thermal paste, or even not enough. Either way, I do recommend re-installing the heatsink.
See less See more
Just try not to pull up on the heatsink when mounting it because you have a chance of getting air pockets in the TIM between the CPU and heatsink, which equals poor thermal dissipation.
Sorry for the pic quality guys. Just had my cell phone handy.

Here you can see that the memory's fans (that thing that goes on top of the memory) is blocking the cpu's fan.

I'll try remounting.. but, could this be part of the issue as well?

See less See more
Most definitely so because you are restricting airflow directly in front of your CPU, and my guess is that it is not really going anywhere except absorbing back into your heatsink.

I cant really see the other side, but if you have an exhaust fan behind the heatsink I would 180 your AC7 to an exhaust fan to evacuate the heat.
Good lord man, tuck those cables into an empty drive bay and make sure that the front intake fan is clear, Also, double check that the two fans on the side are pulling air into the case along with the front fan and that the rear fan is pulling air out of the case. Is that a ram cooler you have(blue box)? Also, that that rear 80mm off and put it where the CPU air cone is not so that it is acting as another intake and put a 120mm as the rear exhaust.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.