Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm already making wish lists for when I upgrade my rig around X-Mas. I will be buying a whole new system, except for a case, which I have a Antec 900 in my closet. Right now, I'm trying to decide between the E8500 or Q6600 for the CPU. My primary uses for the computer will be gaming first, followed by movies and music. I had planned on Q6600, but I've heard that the E8500 is just as good and can be overclocked easier? Can anyone confirm that? I'm just looking for some input on which would be faster, since they are both pretty much the same price on newegg.

Here's the other parts if that helps at all:
(X2)OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 X 1GB) DDR2 1066
Asus P5N-D 750i SLI
MSI HD Radeon 4850 512MB

Also, can anyone tell me the deal with some people saying 4 X 1GB are faster than 2 x 2GB? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
I have owned multiple quads and dual'ies' and I can tell you that its all about clock speed. If you can hit either 4ghz with a dual core or 3.4-3.6 with a quad you wouldn't know the difference and neither would modern games. The good thing about dipping in and getting a really nice quad though, is you are ready for the future. If you arent going to overclock I would say the 8500 due to higher clocks. If you are...hmmm...I would still get the 8500 due to the modern Q6600 having terrible times getting above 3.4.

Stick with 2x2 when it comes to memory, its easier on the controller and leaves room for upgrades.

And hey, spend just a little bit more and get a GTX 260. You are already getting a really nice 750i (although you would be better to get the EVGA 750i FTW) so why not get a faster 260 which also leaves you room to go SLI in the future. Just a suggestion.

Good luck freebeer.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeer
View Post

Thanks for the help ryan. the GTX260 is $100 more, and I am kind of on a budget, or I would have picked something different.

100 bucks more?
The 4850 you are looking at is 189.99 while the PNY 260 is like 220 after rebate. I am not necessarily ANTI-ATI, I am just trying to offer you more performance for slightly more money with room to upgrade to two.

Either way...sounds like it should be a hell of a system

Here is a nice MSI card for ya. 239.99 too.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127361

I know you are on a budget but along with getting a great 750i board, you should buy Nvidia just for the sake of SLI later.

ATI cards are great and I would be all behind you had you went with an Intel board, but when you need that extra performance a year down the road you wont be able to crossfire two of those on that board. That is the only reason I am saying to spend the extra 50-60 bucks and get a faster card that's upgradeable on that board.

Happy gaming!!

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
It does depend on clock speed, but it also depends on what you are doing.

But since you are gaming higher clock speed for E8XXX would be the better choice. Though we are entering a new era already with the new i7 core.
Thus you have to keep this in consideration. I prefer Quad's better. You can always clock it higher with better cooling in the future.

No such thing for ram to be faster with 4 split or 2x2. They will overclock just fine. I suggest a different set though.

·
PC Evangelist
47,386 Posts
With i7 coming out Q6600 might be the best things because thing will start being more Quad optimized. I personally chose Q6600 over E8500 because my Quad can do 3.8Ghz fairly easy.

• Rep+
Reactions: freebeer

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
GO for witch ever one is cheaper at the time. Thats what i did and i scored my new e0 8500 for 140

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I really don't plan on overclocking anything, so decisions based on clockablility doesn't affect me. As for the video card, I'm going to look into the 260s. I had never really planned on going for CF or SLI anyways, so that's why I picked the cheaper 4850, which is still a kickass card. thanks to everyone +rep

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
The problem with getting a Q6600 now is finding a G0 stepping which are the REALLY good quads(actually one is in my SIG). These current steppings aren't good for much past 3.4 in which case a dual core which will hit 4.0 will better suit you for the next year or two given that threading doesn't seem to be a priority to developers. LOL

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by xToaDx
View Post

There's a used Q6600 in the FS section with a VID of 1.22 for I THINK $140 shipped.

I'd look into that.

EDIT: here it is
http://www.overclock.net/sale/405868...y-8800gts.html

Meh, too bad I don't have the money right now. And hell, he lives in DFW too.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjinsamax3
View Post

Since you are not going to overclock, Quads are the way to go.

You bring up a VERY interesting debate. I am willing to put money on the E8500 @ 3.16 over the Q6600 any day in games now and for the next year without any OC.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE my quad and prefer a quad due to my heavy multitasking but if he isn't going to be running movie encoding or decoding software or overclocking, he is better off going with the higher clocked dual. I know, I know, I hate to say it too but its true. MANY MANY MANY benchmarks back that up, as much as I hate to say it.

Now had he said he was all for OCing, well...thats a whole 'nother story

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanrenolds08
View Post

Now had he said he was all for OCing, well...thats a whole 'nother story

if you wonder why I'm not oc'in at all, well, I just don't need to. I know how actually, I took my 2.6GHz BE to like 3.1Ghz, stable, kept it there for like 2 weeks, and decided I really didn't need it. If you get the right parts, your games will run fine at stock speeds. That's why I don't plan OC'ing.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeer
View Post

if you wonder why I'm not oc'in at all, well, I just don't need to. I know how actually, I took my 2.6GHz BE to like 3.1Ghz, stable, kept it there for like 2 weeks, and decided I really didn't need it. If you get the right parts, your games will run fine at stock speeds. That's why I don't plan OC'ing.

Good thinking. NO Ocing = higher clocked dual.

Just my opinion but its also a fact. You can look it up.

·
Premium Member
4,046 Posts
I would go with a nice Asus P5Q P45 board, if you are going ati there is absolutely no point at all in going with an nvidia chipset. The P45 will overclock easier and will support crossfire should you grab another 4850

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
No OCing? That's like heresy or something!

And, you can run virtually any Q6600 at 3.0 at or near stock voltage. It's so easy I don't even think of a Q6600 at 3.0 as an OC anymore.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts