Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently selling some hardware on a different website (spare pc that only needs a hd, and a spare video card due to not having the rep to post it here) The money I get will amount to around $330-350 if it sells but....

I'm having a hard decision on what I should go with....a high-end watercooling setup (which probably won't get me any higher speeds due to my voltage already being at the max safe on my E8400, or would it due to running cooler?)

Or go with a E8600 maybe thats a proven overclocker from a member here + a better air cooler possibly? Preferably one that does 4.4 - 4.5GHz with safe voltage. (under 1.36v)

Or maybe give me some other options? I've got open ears.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hmmmm I don't think I would spend $300 to upgrade from an E8400 to a 600. Your probably just going to replace that later on. If you get a WC setup going you can build off that later and use it for future OCing.

·
Premium Member
8,198 Posts
That seems like a tough decision that you have there. The E8600 should overclock better but it's always a crapshoot. I'd personally go with water just because you can always add your video card to it, cool a quad better if you decide to buy one, and will always be there when you upgrade with the exception of a few things that you might need.

Right now you might not gain much, but you might in the future. Buy buying the E8600, you might gain a few hundred mhz, 300-400, but that probably wouldn't be a noticeable difference unless you are benchmarking or something similar.

I had an E8400, then sold it to buy an E8600, then sold that. I had the E8400 at 4.25ghz and the E8600 was advertised to run at 4.5ghz. I never really had the time to mess with the E8600, but I probably wouldn't have noticed the difference in many things. I did however, buy the chips to fold on and those few hundred mhz shave seconds off each completed %.

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
i reccomend buying a true, selling your 9700 LED and also getting 2 more GB of ddr3. Will you have a lot of left over $? sure! But thats always nice!

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgdude View Post
i reccomend buying a true, selling your 9700 LED and also getting 2 more GB of ddr3. Will you have a lot of left over $? sure! But thats always nice!
Yeah, thats another option I was going for...getting some nice ram that will do like 1800-1900mhz overclocked (4GB total) 2x2GB Sticks for Dual channel...(board supports up to 1900mhz oc for ddr3 ram) and a new CPU Cooler.

My E8400 is lapped, but the zalman 9700 isn't, so I could lap the true while I'm at it as well if I decided to go that route before mounting it and probably get alot better temps.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree, a good water setup will last you many builds. The difference between 4.25Ghz and 4.5Ghz would only be noticeable in a VERY few programs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts