Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i run my e8400 on air with the stock cooler with these settings as they are in cpu-z.Attachment 100210
Never have i once felt the need to upgrade from the stock copper core intel HS.

Am i completely off base with the idea "why would i need something better to cool my cpu?" I can get prime95 4.05 stable 24+ hours on this current setup and my temps have never exceeded 56°C

I mean i see heaps of people running their e8400's around what i do, give or take, ya know...
and i just don't understand why the heck there is an extra 60 bucks cooling something that is not overvolted severely.

Although the more voltage + water argument is completely understandable for me, i'm just not that hardcore.

I mean seriously, keeping your processor 10 degrees cooler than with the stock heatsink isn't going to greatly expand it's lifetime as long as it's within acceptable voltages, i'd think anyway.

anybody else have thoughts on this?
LL

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Water FTW.

I could easly get to 4.5Ghz 24/7 but my mobo is holding me back.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
whats your ambient temp? I see what your voltage is at in the pic and it maxes at 56c wow. I would think your temps would be alot higher with the stock cooler.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I wonder if your bite ass cold weather could be why you're so cool. It was 75 degrees here in L.A. when I ran my 8400 at stock speed with stock cooler for 2 hours on Prime and it ran 63C. I tried to go 3.6 and it got to 70C in 20 mins. Maybe my cheap case is making it hotter.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it's a bit chilly, i live in the basement of a house at the moment, but i'd guess it's about 14-15°C in here.
and yeah, minnesota ftw. :-D
I use the cooler that came with the Q6600 actually, dunno just use as5 and away she goes.
sometimes i do forget i live in the northland and i've very cold blooded :-D

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlaman View Post
it's a bit chilly, i live in the basement of a house at the moment, but i'd guess it's about 14-15°C in here.
and yeah, minnesota ftw. :-D
I use the cooler that came with the Q6600 actually, dunno just use as5 and away she goes.
sometimes i do forget i live in the northland and i've very cold blooded :-D
freezing your ass off in the basement will help alot with temps lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts