Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Easy NVFlash Guide with Pictures for GTX 970/980

Step 1:

Download the latest NVFlash from the following link: http://www.overclock.net/t/1521334/official-nvflash-with-certificate-checks-bypassed-for-gtx-970-980

Step 2:

Create a folder called nvflash on your C: drive or whatever your root drive letter is.

Step 3:

Extract the files from the nvflash zip file into the nvflash folder that you created.

Step 4:

Place your bios file into the nvflash folder.

Step 5:

Open the device manager by typing "device manager" into the start menu, and then click "Device Manager".

Step 6:

Disable your display driver by right clicking your display adapter in the device manager and clicking "Disable".

Step 7:

Open the Command Prompt as an administrator by typing "cmd" into the start menu and then right-clicking it and clicking "Run as administrator".

Step 8:

Navigate to the nvflash folder that you created by typing the following into the command prompt, and then press enter:
cd C:\nvflash

Step 9:

Type the following (for single GPU configurations) into the command prompt and then press enter (replace ROM_NAME with the name of your bios file):
nvflash -6 ROM_NAME.rom

If you have multiple dedicated GPU's installed, then type the following (First type nvflash --list to find your device index, and then change the index number to whatever card you want to flash to):
nvflash --index=0 -6 ROM_NAME.rom

Step 10:

NVFlash will ask if you want to continue two times. Type "y" both times. Wait for it to flash (If your flash fails in the middle of flashing DO NOT restart your computer. Keep trying to re-flash until you get a successful flash). When it is done, type the following into the command prompt and then press enter:
exit

Step 11:

Re-enable your display driver by right clicking your display adapter in the device manager and clicking "Enable".

Step 12:

Reboot your computer and that's it!

FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES THAT MAY OCCUR WHILE ATTEMPTING THIS!

Also, follow my other guide for disabling boost and "baking-in" your max game stable OC if you want. It has helpful info for increasing your power limit (See Step 6): http://www.overclock.net/t/1522651/disable-boost-and-bake-in-max-game-stable-clocks-for-maxwell-ii

·
Registered
430 Posts
Very helpful indeed. + rep
thumb.gif

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Updated the thread for SLI support.

·
Zostacular
658 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
556 Posts
Having a bit of an issue at the cmd portion.

When I type nvflash --list, it says there are no nvidia display adapters.

I extracted the nvflash.zip to my desktop --> cmd --> cd C:\Users\Name\Desktop\nvflash_windows_5.165

This happens with display drivers disabled and enabled.

EDIT: Removed my version of NVFlash and re-unzipped.

Didn't see the link to the validated version.

Everything went well, thanks!

·
Enthusiast
790 Posts
best guide so far. and zoson can ____ off.

·
Registered
103 Posts
rep+

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
why is it that we have to disable the display driver before starting the flash?

is it a safety precaution?

or is it required, as in it would not work otherwise?

should i disable the iGPU on my Haswell CPU from BIOS before flashing, just in case? or nvflash would only see the NVidia cards, so it does not matter?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi folks can some one help me here ive tried flashing my cards and i keep getting the message i/o error : cannot open file : NEW.rom mad.gif its driving me crazy any ideas please smile.gif

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anusha 
/img/forum/go_quote.gif​

why is it that we have to disable the display driver before starting the flash?

is it a safety precaution?

or is it required, as in it would not work otherwise?

should i disable the iGPU on my Haswell CPU from BIOS before flashing, just in case? or nvflash would only see the NVidia cards, so it does not matter?
with 9xx series you need to either disable it or uninstall drivers . When I got my card, I tried to extract bios with GPU-Z and it crashed system , blank screen so yes its needed .

Don't mess with Intel internal graphics , when you flash you should see it list your vid card .

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiko1 
/img/forum/go_quote.gif​

Help please this is getting v annoying thanks
If you followed the guide 100% correctly, then you shouldn't really be getting this problem. Try again and follow it very closely and if it still doesn't work then report back.

·
Registered
87 Posts
ive sorted it thanks and the guides excellent. it was the folder , didnt like been in windows moved to desktop and was done straight away thanks.
smile.gif

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiko1 
/img/forum/go_quote.gif​

ive sorted it thanks and the guides excellent. it was the folder , didnt like been in windows moved to desktop and was done straight away thanks.
smile.gif
Awesome! Glad you got it working! Happy flashing!

EDIT: BEWARE! Flashing different VBIOS' can get very addicting!
tongue.gif

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey thanks soooo much for this guide!!! Its exactly what i wanted to see!!! Okay so can you tell me what are the different ways that I CAN COMPLETELY F UP AND BRICK MY CARD So that I NEVER DO THEM? Like i know one is that, never flash another brands bios onto my gpu.. okay say i get tricked and i flash an msi bios on my evga card will that completely brick my card forever? Is there a way to recover from that? Also where can i find a list of appropriate bios for every type of gtx 970?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeee4 
/img/forum/go_quote.gif​

Hey thanks soooo much for this guide!!! Its exactly what i wanted to see!!! Okay so can you tell me what are the different ways that I CAN COMPLETELY F UP AND BRICK MY CARD So that I NEVER DO THEM? Like i know one is that, never flash another brands bios onto my gpu.. okay say i get tricked and i flash an msi bios on my evga card will that completely brick my card forever? Is there a way to recover from that? Also where can i find a list of appropriate bios for every type of gtx 970?

It's almost impossible to brick a card forever. You just need another card that you can use to flash your bricked card back to some bios that works. I know techpowerup has the stock bios' for most 970's.

·
Registered
161 Posts
try to flash with this method on my new Gigabyte G1 GTX 980, my computer just crash andwhen i try to update the bios, i reset it, get three beeps and black screen...

have removed the graphics card, put the onboard as primary and try to flash my saved BIOS with nvflash on CMD boot

and keep showing the message: "no nVidia adapters found"

i just brick my 980?

if i tell to the store i bought that i try to do a bios update with Gigabyte software and my PC crash, they will give me a new one? damm, i'm so sad right now
mad.gif

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krgwow 
/img/forum/go_quote.gif​

try to flash with this method on my new Gigabyte G1 GTX 980, my computer just crash andwhen i try to update the bios, i reset it, get three beeps and black screen...

have removed the graphics card, put the onboard as primary and try to flash my saved BIOS with nvflash on CMD boot

and keep showing the message: "no nVidia adapters found"

i just brick my 980?

if i tell to the store i bought that i try to do a bios update with Gigabyte software and my PC crash, they will give me a new one? damm, i'm so sad right now
mad.gif
You must have done something wrong when trying to flash. Or you just have bad luck and your computer is unstable and it crashed during a flash. The only thing I can think of is to boot into Windows with a different GPU and then flash your G1 again.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts