1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Hardware Maniac
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
semi-legit
7,981 Posts
Who knows what you're getting with that thing (I'd pass).
I have a Sentry Mix 2 and had the Mix 1 as well from NZXT, nothing has burst into flames on me.

·
Hardware Maniac
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy_van View Post

Who knows what you're getting with that thing (I'd pass).
I have a Sentry Mix 2 and had the Mix 1 as well from NZXT, nothing has burst into flames on me.
Well gonna get one of those nzxt mine it stilk going fine too.
smile.gif

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
from china - no! Just had a prog on TV about reproduction goods , etc .... Not saying all goods, but myself would not touch a china product from Mr, Magoo - anything that is electrical. Standards way below ours.
biggrin.gif

If you have a mickey mouse computer, then go ahead and buy a mick mouse part, am i being rotten? Maybe , but fed up with all the crap that comes from china, my mate has fallen to this sort of... ebay sales, many a time.

·
Registered
688 Posts
If you're so hard-up for cash that you can't afford to spend $30-40 for a reputable fan controller, you probably shouldn't be building a pc in the first place...

·
Hardware Maniac
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorphius View Post

If you're so hard-up for cash that you can't afford to spend $30-40 for a reputable fan controller, you probably shouldn't be building a pc in the first place...
In the first place im a brain thinking save money.

On the second place look that i just spent 200$ this month on part
tongue.gif

Just got my ram from neweeg
biggrin.gif

Well review on neweeg are good on the replica from a chinesse brand in the first place well kingwin sound like a crappy company anyways ahah.

Copy are often the same product as the Lepai amp that his know worldwide to be cheap and pretty good most of the time.

I have a chinesse amp here that is build with high quality component and soldering. Paid 100$ Still working after 2 years and no issue.

I may try it to dissasemble it and see how it made ( the cheap fan controller )

Btw NZXT are probably designed in china too. That why some people reported their pc in fire
devil.gif

Just look at negative review on neweeg......

This review is from: NZXT Sentry-2 5.25" Touch Screen Fan Controller
Pros: Nice looking,( Before smoke)

Cons: Not the best quality control. Worked for two days , then burning smell and blank screen. Nothing wrong with system fans.
I contacted NZXT directly because I thought they might like to know. Well they e-mailed me " RMA Rejected" and suggested that I send it back to Newegg.! I don't see how this is Newegg's problem.
Plus I had already tossed the box .
So I just tossed the unit in the garbage.And will look around for a better quality controller. I've wasted too much time over $29.99
However NZXT is now permanently off my list!

This review is from: NZXT Sentry-2 5.25" Touch Screen Fan Controller
Pros: Looks nice, pretty easy to use and install. Does what its intended to do.

Cons: I bought two of these about 18 months ago, and now both are broken. The first caught fire about 6 months after I bought them. I was lucky I was home, otherwise it would have destroyed my fiance's PC... and also possibly my apartment.

Despite that I continued to use the 2nd one until recently, about 9 months after purchasing them the 2nd one had the 1st fan controller power short out effectively reducing the amount of fans it could handle by one.

Last week the 2nd channel also burned out, now it can only control 3.

So the lesson learned here is... I bought 2, and they both broke within a year. One is at least stil usable... but I fully intend to replace it with a unit not made by NZXT.

I would never recommend it.

Other Thoughts: I contacted support about the one that caught on fire... they didn't really seem surprised, or particularly apologetic that they could have destroyed my computer and possibly my home.

They offered to replace it, or refund credit... but I mean comon? after one caught on fire... do I really want another one? (and now that 2nd one broke too, absolutely not) and as for credit one catching on fire was enough that I'll never buy from them again.

And etc
smile.gif

·
Registered
688 Posts
The people who report smoke, fires, sparks, etc from their fan controllers usually do something stupid like trying to daisy-chain eight fans with 45W total draw into a channel that's only rated for 10W. The controller you've linked says its max output is <30W, which is almost certainly split across all four channels, which means that you quite literally can only safely control four -- MAYBE five -- fans with it.

So the question becomes how many fans do you want to control? If you just have four, you should be able to do that by plugging them into your motherboard headers and controlling them either through the UEFI or by using Speedfan. If you want to control more than that, you should invest in a controller that's rated for enough watts per channel to make sure you're safe.

I get wanting to save money, but I personally wouldn't trust a fan controller that costs less than one of the fans it's going to be controlling.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
like i said not all goods are crap
tongue.gif

But we our trying to guide, who's to say we are right? Hope you find something that is good and cheaper than the main, after all, some live on name brand alone - I myself do not touch anything from corsair
biggrin.gif

• Rep+
Reactions: bonami2

·
Premium Member
8,235 Posts
I have two nzxt sentry 2 units. The one on my desktop it almost at full rated load. Unit works great, and has a auto mode. I would easily get it, only a low % of the units come defective. Nothing I would worry about. Best fan controller for the price, period.

·
Registered
249 Posts
They have the same model selling on amazon/microcenter/newegg, branded kingwin. Just a simple dc controller, nothing fancy. Not sure how it can go wrong either.

·
Hardware Maniac
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladcrooks View Post

like i said not all goods are crap
tongue.gif

But we our trying to guide, who's to say we are right? Hope you find something that is good and cheaper than the main, after all, some live on name brand alone - I myself do not touch anything from corsair
biggrin.gif
ahah yea

Well i have nothing against nzxt i even think i have that controller in my pc. But i have fan blowing over it. But i do run 2 artic cooling f12 from 1 single fan port. No issue at 100% load for like 6 month.

Well review says the cheap kingwin as too small wire for multiple fan... And since i need a 200m fan i think that kill the option

Gonna get the nzxt
smile.gif

·
Hardware Maniac
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post

I have bought 3 of these ebay fan controllers over the years.

50/50 whether it works longer than a few weeks.

Only use very small powerdraw
oh well gonna get the nzxt for sure

1 - 14 of 14 Posts