Overclock.net banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just bought a used graphics card for my brother for his wedding gift. And when i received the package the seller had just put it in a bubble wrap envelope no esd bag. It wasn't the pink bubble wrap that i know they retail or heard they do. Well i opened a case against him and since ebay doesnt officially say how you have to ship it, just that it gets there. So i unhooked my card and put the 7870 in there that i had bought. And it passed stress test, and an OCCT vram error check. Temps are around 71c on the xfx core edition so it is a single fan which i didnt think was to bad. Played skyrim with mods totaling 1.6gb of vram.

So i am extremely upset as it cost me 150 dollars, which was an ok price, but he is arguing that ebay doesnt say he had to so it shouldnt matter, and that he doesnt see how he shipped it wrong.....
mad.gif
seriously
mad.gif

What can i do to make sure my card didnt suffer esd damage (probably did).

I figured a stress test, game, a vram check should point out any obvious damage but i cant check everything. So if i end up being stuck with it, what should i expect in the future, game failures, how long of life, i mean i know its hard to tell but just tell me how bad my situation is on a scale of 1-10 10 being the highest. On a high note my brother is married! and i appreciate any answers all of you may have!
redface.gif

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerdemon292 View Post

So i just bought a used graphics card for my brother for his wedding gift. And when i received the package the seller had just put it in a bubble wrap envelope no esd bag. It wasn't the pink bubble wrap that i know they retail or heard they do. Well i opened a case against him and since ebay doesnt officially say how you have to ship it, just that it gets there. So i unhooked my card and put the 7870 in there that i had bought. And it passed stress test, and an OCCT vram error check. Temps are around 71c on the xfx core edition so it is a single fan which i didnt think was to bad. Played skyrim with mods totaling 1.6gb of vram.

So i am extremely upset as it cost me 150 dollars, which was an ok price, but he is arguing that ebay doesnt say he had to so it shouldnt matter, and that he doesnt see how he shipped it wrong.....
mad.gif
seriously
mad.gif

What can i do to make sure my card didnt suffer esd damage (probably did).

I figured a stress test, game, a vram check should point out any obvious damage but i cant check everything. So if i end up being stuck with it, what should i expect in the future, game failures, how long of life, i mean i know its hard to tell but just tell me how bad my situation is on a scale of 1-10 10 being the highest. On a high note my brother is married! and i appreciate any answers all of you may have!
redface.gif
If it passed a stress test it is probably fine. I would take a good look at the chipset (if exposed) Not sure if that particular model has a backplate or not. Just make sure there are no scratches on the chips, nothing buldging, etc. How long did you stress test it?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
ESD damage may not happen overnight. It could be weeks, months, or sometimes does not happen at all. If there is no issue with the card when you received it (except the packaging), I wouldn't worry too much.

·
Ever Forward.
6,526 Posts
If its working what's the problem? I would be more concerned it was just shipped in a envelope and not a actual box than a missing anti-static bag. It most likely didn't receive any damage.

The paper of the envelop would've protected it from external static anyway.

·
semi-legit
7,981 Posts
If it's working fine and there's no phsyical damage it should be ok.

I had someone ship me a card this past year and they did such a poor packing job the PCI bracket got completely mangled.
Took photos upon opening it, contacted the seller and resolved it without opening a case.

Always best to try and deal with the seller before opening a case (eBay will try and encourage you to do this every time).

·
Premium Member
8,386 Posts
it doesn't matter how he shipped it, even if he just shipped it in a plastic bag. what matters is if you received it damaged and not working properly.

you got it, there is no physical damage, your stress testing shows no error, then what is your grounds for return? no esd bag?
poke.gif

·
semi-legit
7,981 Posts
Yea I'd be far more concerned with substandard packaging (overpack) than not having an ant-static bag.
Plenty of cards have come my way without them and have been just fine.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Holy... wow lots of replies, well i mean yes i did pay with paypal, and i did like idk a 5 minute test on each. nope no parts fell off, and ya no blown parts or anything, well i guess i thought i was in the right for thinking this, but i can imagine everyone thinking the same thing. I'm probably not going to worry about it but still i mean i have a legitimate reason you know. It is this model http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150604

Well i wont worry about it, i just know that some esd damage might be seen overtime, i mean i hear so much about ESD being a big issue, and then "nah its fine" lol SO confusing

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Quote:

Holy... wow lots of replies, well i mean yes i did pay with paypal, and i did like idk a 5 minute test on each. nope no parts fell off, and ya no blown parts or anything, well i guess i thought i was in the right for thinking this, but i can imagine everyone thinking the same thing. I'm probably not going to worry about it but still i mean i have a legitimate reason you know. It is this model http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150604

Well i wont worry about it, i just know that some esd damage might be seen overtime, i mean i hear so much about ESD being a big issue, and then "nah its fine" lol SO confusing
The reason you hear such varied opinions is because the only people that got DOA cards are upset. Everyone else was fine sp they don't care

I would leave neutral feedback

·
Premium Member
8,386 Posts
Quote:

esd is a big deal when you are handling your electronics, it's not a big deal if they are just in a box.

·
semi-legit
7,981 Posts
I can't even remember the last time I grounded myself before handling stuff.
Unless it's the middle of the winter and I'm moonwalking across my carpet in socks before tearing a PC apart I'm not worried about it.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I would not be as mad at the seller selling you the card in the packaging which is really bad but him not telling you that there was something wrong with it and for that price he made you pay its crazy. Hope everything works out.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,555 Posts
a little bit of esd normally wont hurt i wouldn't be to worried about it i mean even companies like evga ship cards new in bubble rap normally there cheaper models but same idea and the box and the bobble rap do protect it some what but even then esd is normally not an issue but i can see why you would be upset paying $150 for a nice gift for your brother and then the seller ends up sending you the card in cheap packaging with out any type of protection how ever i dont really use esd bags myself to protect against esd i use them to protect against water damage and humidity the esd protection is just a bonus for me but idk perhaps he didn't have any anti-static bags and didnt want to buy any to keep the cost to ship low idk but if the card tested out fine i wouldn't be to concerned about it but i wouldn't buy anything from that seller again
smile.gif

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well is it possible if a graphics card had some ESD damage that it could in turn start damaging the motherboard. And are there any other stress testers/memory testers out there?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.