Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure whether or not this should be news, but I'm gonna stick it in here anyways.

Let the speculation begin!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-Confidential-QFGH-Haswell-E5-v3-with-motherboard-LGA-2011-3-/301247367611?pt=US_Server_CPUs_Processors&hash=item4623be09bb

Quote:
One, used, Intel® Xeon Confidential QFGH Haswell E5 v3? with motherboard. Processor is in great physical shape, we pulled it and placed it in a static bag. The motherboard has some damage as shown in the pictures. We did not have the parts to test the motherboard so we are selling it as-is. We are unsure the specifications of this setup. We are open to offers as the value is indeterminable.

SOLD AS-IS.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
That heat spreader is specifically a that of a Haswell EP design but who knows how many cores it's got.

At 2.1 Ghz, it sure isn't a E5 2699 v3.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
That's a funny shaped board, what form factor is that?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post

Haswell-E and Xeon aren't the same thing, no?
Haswell-E and Haswell EP Xeons are of the same family that share the same socket and lineage. Most of the Haswell-E dies start out as potential Haswell EP Xeons but because the fail the binning process and have cores fused off, they end up in the trash bin called Haswell-E
wink.gif

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Yeah, but the same socket and lineage doesn't turn this into a Haswell-E motherboard.
What are you trying to get at? 2011 and 2011-3 are completely different sockets. This is NOT 2011

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Quote:

Yeah, but the same socket and lineage doesn't turn this into a Haswell-E motherboard.
Seeing as the board is here: http://cache-www.intel.com/cd/00/00/49/07/490793_490793.pdf

And it specifically states in the technical documentation:

Two LGA2011 Socket R processor sockets
Support for one or two Intel Xeon processors E5 2600 product family ("Sandy Bridge - EP")

on page 12, and

S2600GZ - 24 DIMM slots - 3 DIMMs / Channel - 4 memory channels per processor

I'd say this definitely isn't Haswell-E

Sorry to ruin your fun
tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syan48306 View Post

Haswell-E and Haswell EP Xeons are of the same family that share the same socket and lineage. Most of the Haswell-E dies start out as potential Haswell EP Xeons but because the fail the binning process and have cores fused off, they end up in the trash bin called Haswell-E
wink.gif
lol @ last part.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geggeg View Post

He's right though. Mainstream chips are mostly rejects from the laptop parts as well.
Wrong on both accounts...As an example IVY-E was native 6 core die- These only share binning with workstation sku's...and the best workstation sku's compare directly to the best sku's on the high end desktop line. There's nothing 'defective' about it unless you've found some super secret workstation sku's that are blowing IVB-E out of the water.

The desktop chips enthusiasts buy are not laptop rejects either (rejects being a poor word choice regardless...the majority of video cards people buy would be considered 'rejects' by that terminology).. High frequency is one of the toughest bins to hit and the best of the best goto desktop.

·
Call me VSG
12,852 Posts
Ok reject was not the best choice, but unless I am mistaken the chips that make it to laptops need to be within a certain power draw/TDP. Those that aren't that efficient go to desktops. Please correct me here if wrong but this is what I have been hearing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts