Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

http://user.web.cern.ch/user/news/2010/101014.html

Quote:
When we started running the LHC at the end of March, we set ourselves the objective of reaching a luminosity of 1032 by the end of 2010 proton running. Last night, we achieved that goal. The beams that went in at around 2:00am, were colliding with a luminosity of 1.01 Ã- 1032 by 3:38am in both ATLAS and CMS, and had delivered an integrated luminosity of over 2 inverse picobarns to ATLAS, CMS and LHCb by midday today. It's a great achievement by all concerned to reach this important milestone with over two weeks to spare. The remainder of this year's proton running will be devoted to maximising the LHC 2010 data set and preparing for 2011 proton running before we switch to lead ions in November.

The significance of this milestone can't be underestimated, since it is a necessary step on the way to the larger goal of delivering an integrated luminosity of one inverse femtobarn to the experiments by the end of 2011. That's the amount of data we need to ensure that if nature has put new physics in our path at the LHC's current collision energy, we'll have a good chance of seeing it.
They.... did it.
I can't believe they did it.....
Those glorious sons of a guns!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by frickfrock99 View Post

Why would it?
People were always like ZOMG TEH LHC WILL CAUSE BLACK HOLE AND WE ALL GUNNA DIE!!11.

Nice news.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by galaxyy View Post
Crossing my fingers for Higgs Boson detection next!
It probably doesn't exist

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've heard of this project many times, but never really did fully understand as to what they are trying to accomplish with it. Anyone care to explain?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stealth2o View Post
I've heard of this project many times, but never really did fully understand as to what they are trying to accomplish with it. Anyone care to explain?
they're trying to find what makes things heavy

·
Goodbye
10,269 Posts
But what the hell is integrated luminosity? I'm just too hurr durr to understand this stuff

Should've stayed in Physics after grade 12....

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Quote:

I second this notion Stealth!

·
The Newt in Overclock.net
3,000 Posts
aren't they trying to smash protons apart to create dark matter?
and dark matter = anti matter?
and anti matter is what propels the USS Enterprise?
so in short, they're trying to recreate the 'big bang' to make new episodes of Star Trek...

·
Hardware Aficionado
829 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by galaxyy View Post
Yet
(JUST KIDDING)

Crossing my fingers for Higgs Boson detection next!
lol, saw this thread title and I though "they actually found it?!"

...nope just luminosity
, still cool though

·
Iconoclast
30,615 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dantoddd View Post
It probably doesn't exist

Confirming, with some certainty, one way or the other is worth it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deagle50ae View Post
aren't they trying to smash protons apart to create dark matter?
and dark matter = anti matter?
and anti matter is what propels the USS Enterprise?
so in short, they're trying to recreate the 'big bang' to make new episodes of Star Trek...
Dark matter has nothing to do with antimatter.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Even if they have created the "dark matter" to power the USS, they would still need some kind of device that creates artificial gravity to travel distant places, and in a "normal" amount of time....?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penicilyn View Post
But what the hell is integrated luminosity?
it's taking the integral of luminosity.

So...

int L dt

so it's basically how many photons were passing through a unit area for a particular time period

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
Confirming, with some certainty, one way or the other is worth it.
I'm sure they won't give up looking for it, it's not like you can prove that it doesn't exist

·
Registered
677 Posts
If what dantoddd says is true, then to my understanding, it seems as if they are trying to figure out how light photons work, and eventually maybe one day manipulate them?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Quote:

If what dantoddd says is true, then to my understanding, it seems as if they are trying to figure out how light photons work, and eventually maybe one day manipulate them?
What they are trying to do is accelerate stuff really fast and smash them. this luminosity stuff is about the stuff that gets shot out of the collisions the higher the luminosity the the higher the collision velocity. when they say we've reached this luminosity what they really mean is we're accelerated stuff up to a particular speed.

I think

1 - 20 of 68 Posts