Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it proably doelnt need it. But I wanna swap the bit of alu. On my 8400gs to something well... A bit over the top.

Why you proably asking ur self? Because I wanna see how far I can push this little... Thing lol.

Volt mod? Proably give it a try. Since it's just a $15 card. Fairly easy to replace lol

so what do u guys think I should try?
I have a old 775 water block might be our to mod to fit lol. And if I can I could try some custom watercooling idears bong. Slush bucket?. Rad made from... Copper pipes or something just to play around with haha.
::: for wcing need to find a cheap pump somewhere :::

but also maby a air cooler? Might be our to find a cheap tower I could possiably bolt to the side of the poor little card.
But wuld be pretty funny with a huge tower heatsink on it.

But yeah what u guys reakon what to try?
Do you think I could make a custom bracket to mount a s775 waterblock/air cooler to a 8400gs?

* I am not 100% sure this card works but if it does Ima ocing it to hell n back

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MR KROGOTH
View Post

Custom waterblock bracket.

Mmmm u reakon it'll fit? It's only made for a s775 CPU
I don't have it infront of me well the waterblock will in a few days lol

I was gonna mod it so it'll fit onto a 1156/1336 which should be pretty easy if the holes are right. Looked like it'll fit lol

as a backplate wat wuld work? Lol
just a bit of metal sheet type thing work with a washer or something non conductive lol

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any one know the space between socket 775 CPU holes
and ecs low profile 8400 gs :/

Worried that it won't work lol carnt find the gpus space and s775 is 66mm? Or different to what that site said lol was just a random site. Thourghts on if it'll fit?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
those thermaltake cross type brackets are great for stuff like this, saw off both ends and use one 775 hole and one 478 hole and it will work. Pretty sure its the same spacing as alot of nb coolers too. So if you got that stuff laying around then use it. Other wise just grab a swiftech mcw60 for like 25 bucks on amazon.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by reggiesanchez
View Post

those thermaltake cross type brackets are great for stuff like this, saw off both ends and use one 775 hole and one 478 hole and it will work. Pretty sure its the same spacing as alot of nb coolers too. So if you got that stuff laying around then use it. Other wise just grab a swiftech mcw60 for like 25 bucks on amazon.

Ahhk I'll have a lookies around aus. For one but proably $50+ but looks like a pretty good cheap block

Thanks

·
Registered
253 Posts
I wouldn't waste that much money for it. Go for a cheap but good air cooler, f.e. AC Accelero S2. That will fit on nearly all low end cards and does a good job.

Anyway, if you want to get a nice OC you have to do a vmod. The 8400GS isn't getting very hot, that's why a better cooling won't give you a big increasement(if any) for the GPU clock.

That is what my 8400GS did look like with the ACS2:
http://www.freeocen.de/wbb2/attachme...achmentid=2124
http://www.freeocen.de/wbb2/attachme...achmentid=2128

Got it up to 840MHz+ on the GPU.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mAlkAv!An
View Post

I wouldn't waste that much money for it. Go for a cheap but good air cooler, f.e. AC Accelero S2. That will fit on nearly all low end cards and does a good job.

Anyway, if you want to get a nice OC you have to do a vmod. The 8400GS isn't getting very hot, that's why a better cooling won't give you a big increasement(if any) for the GPU clock.

I was thinking along the same lines, I like the mcw 60 because I use it on everything. And you are right the 8400 is a great place to start modding listen to this man he nows his stuff as a matter a fact I have a few of my own questions for you mak but I gotta get some data first.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCBrown.CA
View Post

Spending money on aftermarket cooler for 8400GS is a waste.

If you have a spare CPU heatsink laying around you could try something like this:

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn205/MCB-CA/misc%20comp/ramsinksmounted.jpg[/IMG]

Intel CPU (45nm) cooler: worked wonders for temps on my 7900GS.

yeah not gonna spend well.. anything on it I guess
I got a old swifttech CPU cooler not in use
and some cheap arftermarket cooler lol maby a stock heatsink xD

also for a chipsets heatsinks proably got a heatsink I culd cut up or something I guess haha if needed be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mAlkAv!An
View Post

as said before don't wanna get a arftermarket cooler unless I got on for my460 lol

Carnt see those pics :/ nice oc btw

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow a week already!?!??!?

haha got aorund to ocing it today ( this mornning 30min stability test so far on the poor thing )

atm i have it at 750mhz core
1820mhz shader
425mhz memory

with stock cooler atm by itself it loads about 50 - 54. degrees...
then i found my scyth 3k rpm 133cfm beast
biggrin.gif
!

now its load at 43 degrees on stock cooler...

btw idles around 36.

i carnt seam to find a dam cooler for it though :/ does this fit on it? it says 8400.. but would it matter if its low profile?
tongue.gif

also would that fit on my 9400gt? :/

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Liighthead
View Post

wow a week already!?!??!?

haha got aorund to ocing it today ( this mornning 30min stability test so far on the poor thing )

atm i have it at 750mhz core
1820mhz shader
425mhz memory

with stock cooler atm by itself it loads about 50 - 54. degrees...
then i found my scyth 3k rpm 133cfm beast
!

now its load at 43 degrees on stock cooler...

btw idles around 36.

i carnt seam to find a dam cooler for it though :/ does this fit on it? it says 8400.. but would it matter if its low profile?

also would that fit on my 9400gt? :/

You call that overclocking? Crank that sucker up, make it feel the heat. My 8600 GT had the absolute crappiest cooler on it (made ramsinks look amazing), I OC'ed it to something (can't remember anymore). It ran at 110*c load for a few months, then it got replaced, didn't die or anything.

edit: found it, behold its crapulence

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by angrysasquatch
View Post

You call that overclocking? Crank that sucker up, make it feel the heat. My 8600 GT had the absolute crappiest cooler on it (made ramsinks look amazing), I OC'ed it to something (can't remember anymore). It ran at 110*c load for a few months, then it got replaced, didn't die or anything.

edit: found it, behold its crapulence

D:! ik i want to but thats as high as i can go!!!?!?!?!!?!?!
evga precision says 900mhz max. but wont let me go over 750 :/ on the core..

how can i get past that lol

and yeah thats the little peice of crapulence haha

:/ might try my 9400gt... i know i can get a higher clock.. but yeh lol how can i push this 8400gs higher?

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liighthead;12182133
D:! ik i want to but thats as high as i can go!!!?!?!?!!?!?!
evga precision says 900mhz max. but wont let me go over 750 :/ on the core..

how can i get past that lol

and yeah thats the little peice of crapulence haha

:/ might try my 9400gt... i know i can get a higher clock.. but yeh lol how can i push this 8400gs higher?
Try Rivatuner, pretty sure that's what I used back in the day.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by angrysasquatch
View Post

Try Rivatuner, pretty sure that's what I used back in the day.

alright thanks ill give that go

update: got 800mhz core
396mhz mem
1800 shader

stable
( well 3 and half hours furmark extreme burning mode.. )
has to have my scyth 3k rpm fan on it D: or goes above 70+ haha was riseing above that so put it back on.
with the scyth fan on it. under load gets about 58 - 60 :] )

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Oh to give you a update, I have been folding on that 8400 GS for 4 days straight and right now EVGA Precision says the GPU is using 120% of its power (I dont know how it got that) but it is topping a 44c so thats pretty good

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by robertoburri
View Post

Oh to give you a update, I have been folding on that 8400 GS for 4 days straight and right now EVGA Precision says the GPU is using 120% of its power (I dont know how it got that) but it is topping a 44c so thats pretty good

nice what clocks r u useing? stock?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts