Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
I'm sure it will be patched in a matter of hours.

Scary though.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I remember vaguely about two years ago.
Someone said that Linus was working on a patch to apply to the git dev kernel, but I guess it got pushed off. There are a couple work-arounds from what I have heard to make sure that this doesn't happen. It would be nice to not have to worry. I feel sorry for all those lamp servers out there.

But really
, the only way this can be exploited is either by a user on the inside or someone on the outside getting someones username and password, which usually are firewalled like crazy on big servers.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ionstorm66
View Post

A zero day bug has been found in the linux kernal, that lets anyone who has access to the server to get root permissions. The bug has been in the kernal for 2 years now. There is no official patch yet.

http://www.exploit-db.com/exploits/15024/

It's been patched for a while:

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/it...s-1082415.html

This was originally a problem in 2007, it got quickly patched, but then later got reverted by accident, no one noticed til now. It happens. The good thing is there is a quick patch and it's fixed.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempest001
View Post

Kernel Sanders!

Kernel Klink

Sergeant Shultz says. I see NOTHING. I hear NOTHING!!

There's what. A 1000 eyes on the linux kernel day after day. All thinking and wondering different things. Poor bugs don't stand a chance.

·
Registered
623 Posts
The level of ignorance in this thread is very depressing. Props to latty for actually having a clue.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by markatto
View Post

The level of ignorance in this thread is very depressing. Props to latty for actually having a clue.

Oh like it matters if you know this bug has been found and fixed years ago or not. Linux snobbery is bad for ya.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hephasteus View Post
Oh like it matters if you know this bug has been found and fixed years ago or not. Linux snobbery is bad for ya.
Actually, I think he was referring to the bit where it was patched moments after it was found again and this news story hit. Like how it was patched before this news post was made.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Quote:
"$$$ 0p3n1ng th3 m4giq p0rt4l\
"
Browsing through and reading the blue stuff is amusing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts