Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought myself a samsung f3 1tb. hard drive, and I wanted to spend my left over money on an SSD. I don't know much about ssd's, but what would be the best one under $150?

Heck, after looking at the ssd's, is it worth it to get one, even at 30gb. to be a boot drive?

Edit: I guess I can get an extra $100 for an ssd purchase. After looking, I see this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820609461 Would that be my best bet?
Also, what is the durability of an ssd? Anything I have to watch out for? Is it ok to use this as a 24/7 boot drive?

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
$125.99 32 GB SUPER TALENT 230 MB/S read/160 MB/S write. As for a link.., you'll have to find your own, hehe.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
You probably want the Indilinx or Samsung controller over the Intel one, and the connector types are the same as regular hard drives, IDE/PATA and SATA. You want SATA/SATA II. You should look for reading speeds that are 200 or above, and then write speeds at 130 are decent enough.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Not to thread jack but would any of these support the trim command? Or does windows 7 do it automatically? This would make a nice present.

·
Super Moderator
19,301 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jnesses View Post
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0Series%2032GB

I guess that would give me the best price/performance out of ssd's

anyway, i just ordered a haf 932, do i need anything extra to hold this?
The Super Talent will have better performance, wait for that.

You'll need one of these to hold the SSD for mounting in the case, I have one and it works very well. You might have a bit of trouble getting it to fit into the drive rails in the HAF but it will fit if you give it enough muscle.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
If you can find any for decent prices, the rated speeds for Samsung ssds are the best. 220 mb/s read 200 mb/s write. There were some 128 gb ones on eBay going for $249.99+$15 shipping, and the ending bids were $253, $256, and $258 respectively. Retail for that particular drive is around $390-$4xx+shipping.

·
Super Moderator
19,301 Posts
Samsung-based SSDs aren't that special, honestly. I'd wait for them to come out with a new controller first.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I just think that for their rated performance, they're a much better deal than any Intel- or Indilinx-based ssds. Samsung's products have always seemed to cost less than the competition for equal or better quality.

• Rep+
Reactions: Jnesses

·
Guess I'm Back
3,667 Posts
OCZ Vertex 30GB

OCZ Vertex 60GB

Intel X25M 80GB G2 - Out of Stock, but if you don't want to wait then

Intel X25M 80GB G1

Note the G2 is better than the G1, and they both normally go for $350. At $215 (out-of-stock special) on the G2 and $260 on the G1, they're a steal.

I wouldn't bother with anything else. The support for OCZ SSD's is phenomenal (plus they're Indilinx-based), and Intel is among the best. The OCZ Agility is about $10 cheaper and is a little slower, but I would rather spend the extra $10 personally. They have a fantastic support forum. The write speeds of the Indilinx-based drives will be better than Intel's, with Intel being better at read speeds, but the Indilinx-based drives also require a bit of maintenance with TRIM and Garbage Collection to keep their higher write speeds consistent.

You can't go wrong with any of these. If anything else I would get a Samsung-based drive, but the Indilinx-based is still much better, with Intel on top. I wouldn't bother with anything other than OCZ Indilinx-based or Intel. Some of the fastest SSD's available. If you're going to spend the money on an SSD, don't skimp out. Get it right the first time.

·
Super Moderator
19,301 Posts
Rated performance doesn't mean much when you have real testers doing real tests showing what I said: http://www.anandtech.com/storage/sho...px?i=3631&p=19

EDIT: God that's irritating, having posts pop up as soon as I reply... but anyway, the SuperTalent I posted uses an Indilinx controller, so there's no reason not to get it.

·
Just another nerd
5,889 Posts
Intel G2 80GB or any of the OCZ Vertex drives. They both support TRIM, which is critical IMO. The Intel G1 does not support it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts